Master the role and the skills of the physical therapist assistant! Fundamental Orthopedic Management for the Physical Therapist Assistant, 4th Edition helps you apply the principles of orthopedic science to physical therapy interventions. First you will learn how to assess flexibility, strength, endurance, and balance, and then you’ll become a more valuable PTA by learning the essentials of tissue healing, gait and manual therapy, biomechanics and kinesiology, and the management of orthopedic patients by region and condition. This edition includes a new full-color design and illustrations, and broadens its scope with new chapters on topics such as musculoskeletal imaging and women’s issues related to physical rehabilitation. Written by clinician and educator Robert Manske, along with a team of expert contributors, this text is your complete guide to success in physical therapist assisting!
- Comprehensive coverage addresses not only core concepts related to orthopedic care, but also includes biomechanics, pharmacology, in-depth reviews of the types of tissue healing, and the PTA's role in physical assessment and interventions.
- Over 600 illustrations and 75 summary tables reinforce orthopedic concepts and procedures.
- A focus on critical thinking and application prepares you for the treatment room and for the clinical practicum portions of the curriculum.
- Review questions at the end of each chapter prepare you for the kind of critical thinking you will be required to do in practice.
- Key terms and learning objectives begin each chapter, serving as checkpoints for understanding and helping you study effectively for examinations.
- Glossaries in each chapter make it easy to find definitions of key terminology.
- Useful appendices provide a quick reference to information such as commonly used medications, fracture eponyms, and reference ranges for lab tests.
Part I: Basic Concepts of Orthopedic Management
1. Patient Supervision and Observation During Treatment
2. The Role of the Physical Therapist Assistant in Physical Assessment
3. Differential Diagnosis and Emergent Conditions NEW!
4. Muscle Flexibility and Range of Motion
5. Muscle Strength
7. Balance and Coordination
Part II: Review of Tissue Healing
8. Composition and Function of Connective Tissue
9. Ligament Healing
10. Bone Healing
11. Cartilage Healing
12. Muscle and Tendon Healing
13. Neurovascular Healing and Thromboembolic Disease
Part III: Basis for Movement
14. Fundamentals of Normal and Abnormal Gait
15. Concepts of Joint and Soft Tissue Mobilization
16. Biomechanics and Kinesiology
Part V: Management of Orthopedic Patients by Region
17. Orthopedic Management of the Ankle, Foot, and Toes
18. Orthopedic Management of the Knee
19. Orthopedic Management of the Hip and Pelvis
20. Orthopedic Management of the Lumbar, Thoracic, and Cervical Spine
21. Orthopedic Management of the Shoulder
22. Orthopedic Management of the Elbow
23. Orthopedic Management of the Wrist and Hand
Part VI: Management of Orthopedic Patients by Condition
24. Orthopedic Management of Rheumatic Disorders
25. Orthopedic Management of Pain and Pain Syndromes
26. Orthopedic Management of Bracing, Orthotics, and Prosthetics
27. Orthopedic Management Concepts Specific to Women NEW!
Part VIII: Topics in Orthopedics
28. Concepts of Orthopedic Pharmacology
29. Musculoskeletal Imaging NEW!
A: Commonly Used Medications in Musculoskeletal Medicine
B: Reference Ranges for Commonly Used Tests
C: Units of Measurement and Terminology for the Description of Exercise and Sport Performance
D: Fracture Eponyms
E: Major Movements of the Body and the Muscles Acting at the Joints Causing the Movement
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2016
- 15th June 2015
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor and Chair, Department of Physical Therapy, Wichita State University, Wichita, Kansas
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.