Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
1. Polymeric Biomaterials: state of the art and new challenges
2. Polysaccharides as Biomaterials (Cellulose Chitin and chitosan Starch based Biodegradable polymers)
3. Natural Rubber as biomaterials
4. Silicon Rubber as biomaterials
5. Synthetic biodegradable polymers for biomedical application
6. Polymeric Nanoparticles for Targeted Delivery of Bioactive Agents and Drugs
7. Evolution of Current and Future Concepts of Biocompatibility Testing
8. Polymer-Based Colloidal Aggregates as a New Class of Drug Delivery Systems
9. Plasma Polymerization and Plasma Modification of Surfaces for Biomaterials Applications
10. Smart polymers as Biomaterials
11. Polymeric biomaterials for organ regeneration
12. Polymeric Micelles as Pharmaceutical Carriers. Polymeric Vesicles
13. Natural Polymers as Components of Blends for Biomedical Applications
14. Biodegradable Polymeric Composite Scaffolds to Regenerate Bone Tissue
15. Textile Based Biomaterials for Surgical Applications
16. Polymeric Micro and Nanoparticles as Drug Carriers
17. Polymers Scaffolds
18. Synthetic Polymeric Membranes: Classification, Preparation, Structure and Transport Mechanisms
19. Physicochemical Characteristics of Biopolymers
20. In Vivo Biocompatibility Studies: Perspectives on the Evaluation of Biomedical Polymer Biocompatibility
21. Applications of Synthetic Polymeric Biomaterials in Medicine and Biotechnology
22. Engineering polymers for heart valve replants and for artificial hip joints
23. Wear and fatigue behaviour of polymeric biomaterials
24. Life cycle analysis of polymeric biomaterials
25. Cytotoxicity of polymeric materials
Fundamental Biomaterials: Polymers provides current information on findings and developments of biopolymers and their conversion from base materials to medical devices. Chapters analyze the types of polymers and discuss a range of biomedical applications. It is the first title in a three volume set, with each reviewing the most important and commonly used classes of biomaterials and providing comprehensive information on classification, materials properties, behavior, biocompatibility and applications. The book concludes with essential information on wear, lifetime prediction and cytotoxicity of biomaterials.
This title will be of use to researchers and professionals in development stages, but will also help medical researchers understand and effectively communicate the requirements of a biomaterial for a specific application. Further, with the recent introduction of a number of interdisciplinary bio-related undergraduate and graduate programs, this book will be an appropriate reference volume for large number of students at undergraduate and post graduate levels.
- Provides current information on findings and developments of biopolymers and their conversion from base materials to medical devices
- Includes analyses of the types of polymers and a discussion of a range of biomedical applications
- Presents essential information on wear, lifetime prediction and cytotoxicity of biomaterials
- Explores both theoretical and practical aspects of polymers in biomaterials
Materials scientists, biomedical engineers, and chemists working in the field of soft-matter, biomaterials and stem cells for tissue engineering
- No. of pages:
- © Woodhead Publishing 2018
- 22nd March 2018
- Woodhead Publishing
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Sabu Thomas is currently Vice Chancellor of Mahatma Gandhi University and the Founder Director and Professor of the International and Interuniversity Centre for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. He is also a full professor of Polymer Science and Engineering at the School of Chemical Sciences of Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala, India. Recently, because of the outstanding contributions to the field of Nanoscience and Polymer Science and Engineering, Prof. Thomas has been conferred Honoris Causa (DSc) Doctorate by the University of South Brittany, Lorient, France and University of Lorraine, Nancy, France. Very recently, Prof. Thomas has been awarded Senior Fulbright Fellowship to visit 20 Universities in the US and most productive faculty award in the domain of Materials Science.
Preetha Balakrishnan is Principal Scientist at ADSO Naturals Private Limited, Banglore, Karnataka, India. Her area of interest is Polymer Science incorporating Nano materials, and topic of research is Starch based nanocomposites at IIUCNN, M.G. University, Kottayam, in the group of Prof. Sabu Thomas.
Principal Scientist, ADSO Naturals Private Limited, Banglore, Karnataka, India
Dr. M S Sreekala is an Assistant Professor in the Post Graduate Department of Chemistry at Sree Sankara College Kalady, India. Dr. Sreekala specialises in polymer engineering and has 14 years’ experience in the field. She serves as a reviewer for several international journals, including the Journal of Biomaterials and Nanobiotechnology.
Sree Sankara College, Kalady, India
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.