Polysaccharides have experienced an increase in biomedical research due to their outstanding properties such as non-toxicity, biodegradability and biocompatibility. Functional Polysaccharides for Biomedical Applications examines the fundamentals and properties of these natural materials and their potential biomedical applications. With an emphasis on therapeutic and sensing applications, the book also reviews how polysaccharides can be modified for tissue engineering applications.
The first part of the book discusses the basics of polysaccharides and gives an overview of the various potential applications. The second part of the book looks in more depth at novel materials and technologies for use in tissue regeneration and therapeutics. The final section of the book details current biomedical applications with information on sensing and diagnosis.
With a strong focus on materials, engineering and application, this book is a valuable resource for those with an interest in harnessing the biomedical potential of natural polymers.
- Describes strategies for developing functionalized polysaccharides-based biomedical devices
- Illustrates concepts and encompasses scope for clinical development
- Provides advanced and comprehensive information on biomedical constructs
Materials scientists, biomedical engineers, pharmacologists
1. Introduction to natural polysaccharides
2. An overview on potential biomedical applications of polysaccharides
3. Design of polysaccharide-based superporous hydrogels for therapeutic purpose
4. Fabrication of polysaccharide-based materials using ionic liquids and scope for biomedical use
5. Polysaccharides as potential materials for the delivery of therapeutic molecules
6. Polysaccharide-scaffolds for tissue-regeneration
7. Hyaluronic acid as potential carrier in biomedical and drug delivery applications
8. Green synthesis of polysaccharide-based inorganic nanoparticles and biomedical aspects
9. Graphene oxide based nanocomposites and biomedical applications
10. Biomedical application of green synthesized metal nanoparticles using polysaccharides
11. Application of polysaccharides in enzyme immobilization
12. Biosensor based diagnosis of cardiovascular risk biomarkers
13. Modification of liposomal surface by polysaccharides: preparation, characterization and application for drug targeting
14. Aptamer-conjugated functionalized nano-biomaterials for diagnostic and drug targeting applications
- No. of pages:
- © Woodhead Publishing 2019
- 1st July 2019
- Woodhead Publishing
- Paperback ISBN:
Sabyasachi Maiti is an M. Pharm, Ph.D from Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India. He is working as Associate Professor at Department of Pharmacy, Indira Gandhi National Tribal University (Central University), Amarkantak, Madhya Pradesh, India. He has an experience of more than 15 years in the field of pharmaceutical education and research. He is an active researcher in the field of drug delivery science and technology. His research works focus on chemical modification of natural polysaccharides, characterization and their application in the design of novel drug delivery carriers. The outcomes of his research have been appreciated by international peers in this field. He has more than 50 publications in his credit. He also finds a place in the panel of peer reviewers of various international journals of repute. He has written 25 book chapters and edited reference books for international publishers.
Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacy, Indira Gandhi National Tribal University (Central University), Amarkantak, Madhya Pradesh, India
Prof. Sougata Jana is currently working in the Department of Pharmaceutics, at Gupta College of Technological Sciences, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, West Bengal, India. He attained his M. Pharm (Pharmaceutics) from Biju Patnaik University of Technology (BPUT), Odisha, India. He has been engaged in research for 9 years and teaching for 8 years. He gained the GATE examination in 2005 and then later went on to receive a ‘Gold Medal’ from West Bengal University of Technology (WBUT), Kolkata for standing first at UG level. The IPA Bengal branch, Kolkata, India conferred upon him the ‘M.N Dev Memorial award’ for securing the highest marks in the state of West Bengal in 2005. He was also awarded the ‘Best Poster Presentation Award’ at the 21st West Bengal State Science and Technology Congress-2014, Burdwan, West Bengal, India. He has published 24 research papers in national and international peer reviewed journals. He has edited one book- ‘ADVANCE Pharmaceutical Analytical Technique’ under Pharmamedix India Publication Pvt. Ltd. and five book chapters. He is an active reviewer for various international journals including those by Elsevier, Wiley, Springer, Taylor and Francis, and Dove Press etc. He is also a life member of the Association of Pharmaceutical Teachers of India (APTI).
Department of Health and Family Welfare, Directorate of Health Services, Kolkata, India