Providing a solid foundation in the normal development of functional movement, Functional Movement Development Across the Life Span, 3rd Edition helps you recognize and understand movement disorders and effectively manage patients with abnormal motor function. It begins with coverage of basic theory, motor development and motor control, and evaluation of function, then discusses the body systems contributing to functional movement, and defines functional movement outcomes in terms of age, vital functions, posture and balance, locomotion, prehension, and health and illness. This edition includes more clinical examples and applications, and updates data relating to typical performance on standardized tests of balance. Written by physical therapy experts Donna J. Cech and Suzanne "Tink" Martin, this book provides evidence-based information and tools you need to understand functional movement and manage patients' functional skills throughout the life span.
- Over 200 illustrations, tables, and special features clarify developmental concepts, address clinical implications, and summarize key points relating to clinical practice.
- A focus on evidence-based information covers development changes across the life span and how they impact function.
- A logical, easy-to-read format includes 15 chapters organized into three units covering basics, body systems, and age-related functional outcomes respectively.
Unit 1: Definition of functional movement
1. Functional independence: a lifelong goal
2. Theories affecting development
3. Motor development and motor control
4. Motor learning and motor control
5. Evaluation of function
Unit 2: Body systems contributing to functional movement
6. Skeletal system changes
7. Muscle system changes
8. Cardiovascular and pulmonary system changes
9. Nervous system changes
10. Sensory system changes
Unit 3: Functional movement outcomes
11. Vital functions
12. Posture and balance
15. Health and fitness
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2011
- 22nd August 2011
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Certified Specialist in Pediatric Physical Therapy; Professor and Program Director (Retired), Physical Therapy, Midwestern University, Downers Grove, IL
Professor Emerita, Physical Therapy,
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.