Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
I. Functional Equations.
1. Introduction and motivation
2. Some methods for solving functional equations.
3. Equations for one function of one variable.
4. Equations with several functions in one variable.
5. Equation for one function of several variables.
6. Equations with functions of several variables.
7. Functional equations and differential equations.
8. Vector and matrix equations.
II. Applications of Functional Equations.
9. Functional Networks.
10. Applications to Science and Engineering.
11. Applications to Geometry and CAGD.
12. Applications to Economics.
13. Applications to Probability and Statistics.
The book provides the reader with the different types of functional equations that s/he can find in practice, showing, step by step, how they can be solved.
A general methodology for solving functional equations is provided in Chapter 2. The different types of functional equations are described and solved in Chapters 3 to 8. Many examples, coming from different fields, as geometry, science, engineering, economics, probability, statistics, etc, help the reader to change his/her mind in order to state problems as functional equations as an alternative to differential equations, and to state new problems in terms of functional equations or systems.
An interesting feature of the book is that it deals with functional networks, a powerful generalization of neural networks that allows solving many practical problems. The second part of the book, Chapters 9 to 13, is devoted to the applications of this important paradigm.
The book contains many examples and end of chapter exercises, that facilitates the understanding of the concepts and applications.
· A general methodology for solving functional equations is provided in Chapter 2.
· It deals with functional networks, a powerful generalization of neural networks.
· Many examples, coming from different fields, as geometry, science, engineering, economics, probability, statistics, etc, illustrate the concept of functional equation.
· Functional equations are presented as a powerful alternative to differential equations.
· The book contains end of chapter exercises.
Undergraduate honors students in mathematics, and engineering as well as graduate students in artificial Intelligence, engineering and statistics. In addition, students in Economics programs will also be interested in this book as many of the applications illustrated are from economics fields.
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier Science 2004
- 4th November 2004
- Elsevier Science
- Hardcover ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
"...the main strengths of this book are (a)its collection of solution methods for standard FE and (b)a substantial number of examples and applications that help make FE more accessible to people who are comfortable with standard methods of analysis (real, complex, differential equations, difference equations) but with little or no background in FE."
Universidad de Santander, Spain
Universidad de Cantabrian, Santander, Spain
Universidad de Cantabria, Santander, Spain
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.