- Reviews the key ingredients, formulation technology and health effects of the major types of functional and speciality beverages
- Essential ingredients such as stabilizers and sweeteners, and significant aspects of formulation such as fortification technology and methods to extend shelf-life are considered
- Focuses on methods to improve the nutritional and sensory quality and technological functionality of milk
Table of Contents
- Part 1 Beverage ingredients and technology: Ingredient selection for stabilization and texture optimization of functional beverages and the inclusion of dietary fibre; Developments in sweeteners for functional and speciality beverages; Probiotics as ingredients in functional beverages; Fortification of beverages with vitamins and minerals; Fortification of beverages with products other than vitamins and minerals; Extended shelf-life beverages. Part 2 Dairy-based beverages: Improving the nutritional quality of milk; Improving the sensory quality, shelf-life and functionality of milk; Milk-based functional beverages; Whey-based functional beverages; Beverages based on milk fat globule membrane (MFGM) and other novel concepts for dairy-based functional beverages. Part 3 Plant-based beverages: New directions in fruit juice processing; Isolated soy protein usage in beverages; Sports beverages for optimising physical performance; Coffee as a speciality and functional beverage; Tea and tea-based functional beverages. Part 4 Beverage development and consumption: Consumer-oriented development of functional beverages; The role of beverages in a healthy diet: Key issues and guidelines.
- No. of pages: 512
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Woodhead Publishing 2009
- Published: January 29, 2009
- Imprint: Woodhead Publishing
- Hardcover ISBN: 9781845693428
- eBook ISBN: 9781845695569
About the Editor
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Functional and Speciality Beverage Technology"