Frontiers in Viral Hepatitis provides a compilation of the research from over 40 key opinion leaders in the field of Hepatitis. The book focuses on the latest advances in the search for new, more effective therapeutic options and related topics in viral hepatitis. These include regulatory issues, epidemiology, and emerging viruses; immunology and vaccines; viral hepatitis B and C infections in children; genetics pathology and viral diagnosis; cell systems and animal models; novel therapeutics for hepatitis B and C; resistance and therapeutic strategies in humans; and prevention and treatment options for hepatocellular carcinoma.
The breadth of information published in this volume provides insight into current prevention and treatment options. Recent advances in our understanding of the molecular biology, immunology and pathogenesis of hepatitis viruses have accelerated at a remarkable rate, offering a more comprehensive perspective on hepatitis.
Preface. Acknowledgments. Biographies. Contributors.
Regulatory Issues, Epidemiology, and Emerging Viruses
- Current issues in the regulation and approval of antiviral drugs for hepatitis (B.A. Styrt, R. Fleischer, T. Wu, H.M. Jolson).
- Molecular and serum epidemiology of HBV and HCV infection and the impact of antiviral agents in China (Xuefeng Liu, R.F. Schinazi).
- New viruses and their relationship to hepatitis (H.J. Alter). Immunology and Vaccines
- Virus-specific CD8+ cell immune responses in acute and chronic hepatitis B virus infection (G.J.M. Webster, G.M. Dusheiko).
- Cell-mediated immunity and the outcome of HCV infection in chimpanzees (C.M. Walker).
- Adoptive immune transfer as a therapeutic approach for persistent hepatitis B virus infection (D. Shouval).
- Perspectives in HCV vaccine development (E. Depla). Viral Hepatitis B and C Infections In Children
- Maternal/fetal/pediatric HBV and HCV infections (R.A. Schreiber).
- Effects of interferon treatment in children with post-transfusional chronic hepatitis B (M. Pop, et al.). Genetics, Pathology and Viral Diagnosis
- Effects of genotypic variations on hepatitis C virus nonstructural protein 5B structure and activity (Zhi Hong, et al.).
- Compartmentalization of hepatitis C viral quasispecies (Xiaofeng Fan, A.C. Lyra, A.M. DiBisceglie).
- In situ localization of PCR-amplified hepatitis C Virus RNA on human erythrocytes (S. Simon, et al.).
- Nucleic acid-based antiviral approaches to HBV (H.C. Spangenberg, J.R. Wands).
- In vitro phenotype of HBV variants in patients with fulminant hepatitis B (M. Sterneck, T. Kalinina).
- Evaluation o
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier Science 2003
- 12th December 2003
- Elsevier Science
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
"This book will be an excellent source of information not only for hepatologists or research workers in hepatology, but also for clinicians interested in the basic science or viral hepatitis and in understanding the 'deep' pathogenic aspects of hepatocellular carcinoma" - DIGESTIVE AND LIVER DISEASE (2005)