Fractures of the Proximal Femur: Improving Outcomes, by Dr. James P. Waddell, helps you maximize clinical outcomes when addressing the challenges, complications, and treatment of patients with hip fractures. Match pre-operative assessment, surgical techniques, post-operative management, and more to the specific lifestyle factors of each patient in order to achieve optimal results. Apply state-of-the-art techniques and protocols with the visual help of operative videos as well as more than 500 surgical line drawings and photographs in print and online at www.expertconsult.com.
- See how to perform each technique step by step with operative videos and online access at www.expertconsult.com.
- Review surgical techniques such as pinning, plating/intramedulary devices, and total hip replacement implants, and get a greater understanding of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism prevention.
- Brush up on related topics including epidemiology, osteoporosis, co-morbidities, evidence-based post-op, and rehabilitation protocols.
- Get the advice of expert contributors worldwide who detail best practices in prophylaxis, surgical technique, and rehabilitation.
Section I Introduction
- Epidemiology/Population Studies: Scope of the Problem
- Skeletal Assessment of Fractures of the Proximal Femur
- General Assessment and Optimization for Surgery
- Regional vs. General Anaesthesia for Fractures of the Proximal Femur
- Improving Pain Management and Patient Outcomes Associated with Proximal Femur Fractures
- Femoral Neck Fractures: Reduction and Fixation
- Femoral Neck Fractures: Arthroplasty
- Combined Fractures of the Hip and Femoral Shaft
Section II Preoperative Assessment of the Hip Fracture Patient
Section III Anaesthesia and Pain Management
Section IV Surgery
9. Femoral Neck Fractures: Treatment of Nonunion
Section V Intertrochanteric Fractures
- Trochanteric Fractures: Sliding Hip Screw
- Trochanteric Fractures: Intramedullary Devices
- Complications in Trochanteric Fractures
- subtrochanteric Fractures: Intramedullary Fixation
- Subtrochanteric Fractures: Plate Fixation
Section VI Subtrochanteric Fractures
Section VII Postoperative Management
- Deep Vein Thrombosis and Thromboembolism: Prevention and Treatment in Hip Fracture Patients
- Investigation and Management of Postoperative Delirium
- Rehabilitation: Improving Outcomes for Patients Following Fractures of the Proximal Femur
- Preventing the Second Hip Fracture: Addressing Osteoporosis in Hip Fracture Patients
- Best Surgical Practices
- Best Rehabilitation Practices
Section VIII Analysis
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2011
- 24th September 2010
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
A. J. Latner Professor and Chairman, Orthopaedic Division, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada