Fractional Differential Equations
An Introduction to Fractional Derivatives, Fractional Differential Equations, to Methods of Their Solution and Some of Their Applications
Free Global ShippingNo minimum order
This book is a landmark title in the continuous move from integer to non-integer in mathematics: from integer numbers to real numbers, from factorials to the gamma function, from integer-order models to models of an arbitrary order. For historical reasons, the word 'fractional' is used instead of the word 'arbitrary'.This book is written for readers who are new to the fields of fractional derivatives and fractional-order mathematical models, and feel that they need them for developing more adequate mathematical models.In this book, not only applied scientists, but also pure mathematicians will find fresh motivation for developing new methods and approaches in their fields of research.A reader will find in this book everything necessary for the initial study and immediate application of fractional derivatives fractional differential equations, including several necessary special functions, basic theory of fractional differentiation, uniqueness and existence theorems, analytical numerical methods of solution of fractional differential equations, and many inspiring examples of applications.
- A unique survey of many applications of fractional calculus
- Presents basic theory
- Includes a unified presentation of selected classical results, which are important for applications
- Provides many examples
- Contains a separate chapter of fractional order control systems, which opens new perspectives in control theory
- The first systematic consideration of Caputo's fractional derivative in comparison with other selected approaches
- Includes tables of fractional derivatives, which can be used for evaluation of all considered types of fractional derivatives
Researchers in math analysis; engineers; mathematicians; applied scientists wishing to use fractional-order models for modeling and studying processes in a particular field; teachers and students of differential and integral calculus, and mathematical and theoretical physics.
Table of Contents
- Preface. Acknowledgments. Special Functions Of Preface. Acknowledgements. Special Functions of the Fractional Calculus. Gamma Function. Mittag-Leffler Function. Wright Function. Fractional Derivatives and Integrals. The Name of the Game. Grünwald-Letnikov Fractional Derivatives. Riemann-Liouville Fractional Derivatives. Some Other Approaches. Sequential Fractional Derivatives. Left and Right Fractional Derivatives. Properties of Fractional Derivatives. Laplace Transforms of Fractional Derivatives. Fourier Transforms of Fractional Derivatives. Mellin Transforms of Fractional Derivatives. Existence and Uniqueness Theorems. Linear Fractional Differential Equations. Fractional Differential Equation of a General Form. Existence and Uniqueness Theorem as a Method of Solution. Dependence of a Solution on Initial Conditions. The Laplace Transform Method. Standard Fractional Differential Equations. Sequential Fractional Differential Equations. Fractional Green's Function. Definition and Some Properties. One-Term Equation. Two-Term Equation. Three-Term Equation. Four-Term Equation. Calculation of Heat Load Intensity Change in Blast Furnace Walls. Finite-Part Integrals and Fractional Derivatives. General Case: n-term Equation. Other Methods for the Solution of Fractional-order Equations. The Mellin Transform Method. Power Series Method. Babenko's Symbolic Calculus Method. Method of Orthogonal Polynomials. Numerical Evaluation of Fractional Derivatives. Approximation of Fractional Derivatives. The "Short-Memory" Principle. Order of Approximation. Computation of Coefficients. Higher-order Approximations. Numerical Solution of Fractional Differential Equations. Initial Conditions: Which Problem to Solve? Numerical Solution. Examples of Numerical Solutions. The "Short-Memory" Principle in Initial Value Problems for Fractional Differential Equations. Fractional-Order Systems and Controllers. Fractional-Order Systems and Fractional-Order Controllers. Example. On Viscoelasticity. Bode's Analysis of Feedback Amplifiers. Fractional Capacitor Theory. Electrical Circuits. Electroanalytical Chemistry. Electrode-Electrolyte Interface. Fractional Multipoles. Biology. Fractional Diffusion Equations. Control Theory. Fitting of Experimental Data. The "Fractional-Order" Physics? Bibliography. Tables of Fractional Derivatives. Index.
- No. of pages: 340
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Academic Press 1998
- Published: October 21, 1998
- Imprint: Academic Press
- eBook ISBN: 9780080531984
- Hardcover ISBN: 9780125588409
About the Author
Igor Podlubny is an Associate Professor at the Faculty of Mining, Ecology, Process Control, and Geotechnology of the Technical University of Kosice. He received his MSc in applied mathematics degree and Ph.D. degree in differential equations and mathematical physics from the Odessa State University, Ukraine, and the RNDr degree from the Comenius University in Bratislava, Slovakia. His work and interests focus on applications of mathematics in other fields, and especially on applications of differential equations of an arbitrary order.
Affiliations and Expertise
Technical University of Kosice, Slovak Republic
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Fractional Differential Equations"