Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Foundations of Health Service Psychology describes a comprehensive science-based approach to the clinical practice of psychology. It systematically applies recent scientific advances in understanding human psychology to updating conceptual frameworks used in professional psychology education and practice. The new edition includes significant elaboration on recent research; neuro- and behavioral science research regarding many aspects of cognition, emotion, and behavior have strengthened considerably over the past decade as has the role of evolutionary theory for understanding why humans are “designed” the way we are. The movement toward integrated primary care has also advanced considerably. These and other topics are updated significantly in this new edition. The new edition is also reorganized to streamline the presentation.
- Presents a unified conceptual framework for professional psychology
- Overviews the whole treatment process from a biopsychosocial approach, from intake through outcomes assessment
- Avoids highly technical language so that students and practitioners from across the field can follow the discussion
- Includes major advances in both the science and practice of psychology
- 75% revised and updated from first edition
Clinical psychologists, therapists, counsellors, and social workers. Students in professional psychology grad programs; appropriate for courses in clinical and counselling psychology as well as social work
1. The foundational framework for understanding human psychology and behavioral health care
2. The evolution of psychology as a science and field of professional practice
3. Scientific foundations: understanding human nature
4. Ethical foundations of behavioral health care
5. Psychological functioning
6. Sociocultural functioning
7. Physical health and functioning
8. Development: biopsychosocial factors interacting over time
10. Treatment planning
12. Outcomes assessment
13. Public health and integrated primary care
14. A new era for health service psychology
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2020
- 1st April 2020
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
Timothy Melchert’s research focuses on the theoretical and scientific frameworks used to guide education and practice in behavioural healthcare. He utilizes a science-based biopsychosocial framework to resolve much of the theoretical confusion and professional conflicts that have long plagued the field of professional psychology. He is the author of Foundations of Professional Psychology, First Edition (Academic Press) and Biopsychosocial Practice: A Science-Based Framework for Behavioral Health Care (APA Press).
Department of Counselor Education and Counseling Psychology, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI, USA