- Evidence-Based Practice boxes highlight current research findings, their application to practice, and how community/public health nurses can apply the study results.
- Levels of Prevention boxes identify specific nursing interventions at the primary, secondary, and tertiary levels, to reinforce the concept of prevention as it pertains to community and public health care.
- Focus on health promotion throughout the text emphasizes initiatives, strategies, and interventions that promote the health of the community.
- Clinical Application scenarios offer realistic situations with questions and answers to help you apply chapter concepts to practice in the community.
- Case Studies provide client scenarios within the community/public health setting to help you develop assessment and critical thinking skills.
- What Would You Do? boxes present problem-solving challenges that encourage both independent and collaborative thinking required in community settings.
- How To boxes offer specific instructions on nursing interventions.
1. Community-Oriented Nursing and Community-Based Nursing
2. The History of Public Health and Public and Community Health Nursing
3. The U.S. Health and Public Health Care Systems
Part II: Influences on Health Care Delivery and Nursing
4. Ethics in Community Health Nursing Practice
5. Cultural Influences in Nursing in Community Health
6. Environmental Health
7. Government, the Law, and Policy Activism
8. Economic Influences
Part III: Conceptual Frameworks Applied to Nursing Practice in the Community
9. Epidemiological Applications
10. Evidence-Based Practice
11. Using Health Education and Groups in the Community
Part IV: Issues and Approaches in Health Care of Populations
12. Community Assessment and Evaluation
13. Case Management
14. Disaster Management
15. Surveillance and Outbreak Investigation
16. Program Management
17. Managing Quality and Safety
Part V: Issues and Approaches in Family and Individual Health Care
18. Family Development and Family Nursing Assessment
19. Family Health Risks
20. Health Risks Across the Life Span
Part VI: Vulnerability: Predisposing Factors
21. Vulnerability and Vulnerable Populations: An Overview
22. Rural Health and Migrant Health
23. Poverty, Homelessness, Mental Illness, and Teen Pregnancy
24. Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drug Problems in the Community
25. Violence and Human Abuse
26. Infectious Disease Prevention and Control
27. HIV Infection, Hepatitis, Tuberculosis, and Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Part VII: Nursing Practice in the Community: Roles and Functions
28. Nursing Practice at the Local, State,