Build a broad fundamental knowledge of mental health concepts and disorders! Foundations of Mental Health Care, 7th Edition uses an easy-to-read, multi-disciplinary approach to describe the treatment of clients with mental health disorders. Ideal for nurses and other caregivers, this guide provides in-depth coverage of issues and principles, therapeutic skills, mental health problems throughout the lifecycle, and specific psychological and psychosocial conditions. This edition is updated with the latest information on violence, suicide, substance abuse, and more. Written by expert educator Michelle Morrison-Valfre, this resource enables you to provide effective therapy to clients with a wide range of maladaptive behaviors.
- DSM-5 criteria are used in the descriptions of all mental health disorders.
- Sample client care plans show how members of the health care team work collaboratively to meet client needs.
- Case studies provide realistic client situations that illustrate chapter concepts and strengthen critical thinking.
- Critical Thinking boxes contain thought-provoking client issues and questions, helping students develop skills in clinical reasoning.
- Drug Alert boxes identify the risks and possible adverse reactions of psychotherapeutic medications.
- Cultural Consideration boxes highlight cultural issues and address the mental health needs of culturally diverse clients.
- Get Ready for the NCLEX® feature includes NCLEX-PN review questions, preparing students for success on classroom and licensure exams.
- Study Guide on the Evolve companion website reinforces student understanding of important concepts from the text. Included free with textbook purchase.
UNIT ONE: MENTAL HEALTH CARE: PAST AND PRESENT
1. The History of Mental Health Care
2. Current Mental Health Care
3. Ethical and Legal Issues
4. Sociocultural Issues
5. Theories and Therapies
6. Complementary and Alternative Therapies
7. Psychotherapeutic Drug Therapy
UNIT TWO: THE CAREGIVER’S THERAPEUTIC SKILLS
8. Skills and Principles of Mental Health Care
9. Mental Health Assessment Skills
10. Therapeutic Communication
11. The Therapeutic Relationship
12. The Therapeutic Environment
UNIT THREE: MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEMS THROUGHOUT THE LIFE CYCLE
13. Problems of Childhood
14. Problems of Adolescence
15. Problems of Adulthood
16. Problems of Late Adulthood
17. Cognitive Impairment, Alzheimer’s Disease, and Dementia
UNIT FOUR: CLIENTS WITH PSYCHOLOGICAL PROBLEMS
18. Managing Anxiety
19. Illness and Hospitalization
20. Loss and Grief
21. Depression and Other Mood Disorders
22. Physical Problems, Psychological Sources
23. Eating and Sleeping Disorders
24. Dissociative Disorders
UNIT FIVE: CLIENTS WITH PSYCHOSOCIAL PROBLEMS
25. Anger and Aggression
26. Outward-Focused Emotions: Violence
27. Inward-Focused Emotions: Suicide
28. Substance-Related Disorders
29. Sexual Disorders
30. Personality Disorders
31. Schizophrenia and Other Psychoses
32. Chronic Mental Health Disorders
33. Challenges for the Future
Appendix A: Mental Status Assessment at a Glance
Appendix B: A Simple Assessment of Tardive Dyskinesia Symptoms
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2021
- 1st September 2020
- Paperback ISBN:
Health Care Educator/Consultant, Heatlh and Education Consultants, Forest Grove, OR
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.