Make sure you fully understand how to care for women and newborns! Foundations of Maternal-Newborn and Women's Health Nursing, 7th Edition integrates essential maternity information into the overall continuum of nursing care to show how to provide safe care in the clinical setting. With easy-to-understand language, this updated text uses evidence-based guidelines and step-by-step instructions for assessments and interventions to help you quickly master key skills and techniques. Also emphasized is the importance of understanding family, communication, culture, patient teaching, and clinical decision making. This edition reflects the latest QSEN competencies, and the accompanying Evolve website includes review questions to prepare students for the NCLEX® exam!
- Safety checks integrated into the content help you develop competencies related to safe nursing practice.
- Unfolding case studies help you apply what you’ve learned to practice.
- UPDATED Evidence-Based Practice boxes highlight the latest research and the most current QSEN (Quality and Safety Education for Nurses) practice guidelines for quality care.
- Patient teaching boxes provide teaching guidelines, including communication guides, directed at patients and families.
- Critical to Remember boxes highlight and summarize need-to-know information.
- Critical Thinking exercises focus on clinical situations designed to test your skills in prioritizing and critical thinking.
- Nursing Care Plans help you apply the nursing process to clinical situations.
- Chapter summaries appear at the end of each chapter and help you review core content in each chapter while on the go.
- Updated Drug guides list important indications, adverse reactions, and nursing considerations for the most commonly used medications.
- Procedure boxes provide clear instructions for performing common maternity skills, with rationales for each step.
- UNIQUE! Therapeutic Communications boxes present realistic nurse-patient dialogues, identifying communication techniques and showing to respond when encountering communication blocks.
- Knowledge check helps you assess your mastery of key content.
- Glossary provides definitions of all key terms.
PART I: FOUNDATIONS FOR NURSING CARE OF THE CHILDBEARING FAMILIES
1. Maternity and Women’s Health Care Today
2. Social, Ethical and Legal Issues
3. Reproductive Anatomy and Physiology
4. Hereditary and Environmental Influences on Childbearing
PART II: THE FAMILY BEFORE BIRTH
5. Conception and Prenatal Development
6. Maternal Adaptations to Pregnancy
7. Antepartum Assessment, Care and Education
8. Nutrition for Childbearing
9. Assessing the Fetus
10. Complications of Pregnancy
11. The Childbearing Family with Special Needs
PART III: THE FAMILY DURING BIRTH
12. Processes of Birth
13. Pain management during Childbirth
14. Intrapartum Fetal Surveillance
15. Nursing Care During Labor and Birth
16. Intrapartum Complications
PART IV: THE FAMILY FOLLOWING BIRTH
17. Postpartum Adaptations and Nursing Care
18. Postpartum Maternal Complications
19. Normal Newborn: Processes of Adaptation
20. Assessment of the Normal Newborn
21. Care of the Normal Newborn
22. Infant Feeding
23. High-Risk Newborn: Complications Associated with Gestational Age and Development
24. High-Risk Newborn: Acquired and Congenital Conditions
PART VI: WOMEN’S HEALTH CARE
25. Family Planning
27. Women’s Health Care
A. Use of Drugs and Botanical Preparations during Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
B. Answers to Knowledge Check
C. Answers to Critical Thinking Exercises
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2019
- 23rd February 2018
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor Emerita, Health Professions, Golden West College, Huntington Beach, CA
Baylor Healthcare System, Dallas, TX