This title is a complete, evidence-based reference of general pediatrics written by 150 experts from all over the world. The contents cover children’s health needs and problems in the developing as well as the developed world, with an emphasis on prevention as well as treatment. It is the ideal international reference source for pediatricians and family doctors throughout the world.
- The text is readable, clear and informative, with information firmly grounded in the latest clinical evidence and trials
- Strong evidence base to text – as shown in the comprehensiveness of the references at the end of each chapter – these sections are unmatched by any other book
- Editorial team of 4 editors (one new for this edition) work together as a team to ensure that the information is consistent in quality, style and level
- Over 500 illustrations, with an invaluable colour section that includes pictures of eye conditions, rashes, histology, and blood diseases
- Comprehensive index ensures that information can be found quickly and easily
- Written with a world-wide audience in mind and aimed at the practitioners – pediatricians and family medicine doctors - working in the community as well as the hospital setting
Section 1: Foundations for Health and Practice:
Evidence-based child health. Epidemiology of childhood disease – developed countries. Epidemiology of childhood diseases. Health care delivery in resource limited settings. Preventive pediatrics. Child protection. Accidents, poisoning and SIDS. Developmental pediatrics. History, examination, basic investigation and procedures. Pediatric prescribing. Ethics.
Section 2: Perinatal/Neonatal Medicine:
Fetal medicine. The newborn. Infant feeding.
Section 3: The Specialties:
Genetics. Endocrine gland disorders and disorders of growth and puberty. Nutrition. Fluid, electrolyte and acid-base disturbances. Disorders of the urinary system. Disorders of the alimentary tract and liver. Respiratory disorders. Cardiovascular disease. Neurology. Disorders of the blood and bone marrow. Oncology. Gynecological diseases. Inborn errors of metabolism. Immunodeficiency. Infections. Disorders of bones, joints and connective tissue. Disorders of the skin. Disorders of the eye. Disorders of the ear, nose and throat. Allergic disorders. Psychiatric disorders in childhood. Adolescent medicine. Emergency care. Surgical pediatrics. Pain and palliative care.
Section 4: Appendices and index:
- No. of pages:
- © Churchill Livingstone 2008
- 30th June 2008
- Churchill Livingstone
- Paperback ISBN:
Professor of Child Life and Health, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Professor of Child Health, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK
Brough Professor of Paediatric Medicine, University of Liverpool Institute of Child Health, Alder Hey Children's Hospital, Liverpool, UK
Professor of Paediatric Epidemiology; Director, Institute of Health Service Research, Peninsula Medical School, Exeter, UK