Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Food Waste to Valuable Resources: Applications and Management compiles current information pertaining to food waste, placing particular emphasis on the themes of food waste management, biorefineries, valuable specialty products and technoeconomic analysis. Following its introduction, this book explores new valuable resource technologies, the bioeconomy, the technoeconomical evaluation of food-waste-based biorefineries, and the policies and regulations related to a food-waste-based economy. It is an ideal reference for researchers and industry professionals working in the areas of food waste valorization, food science and technology, food producers, policymakers and NGOs, environmental technologists, environmental engineers, and students studying environmental engineering, food science, and more.
- Presents recent advances, trends and challenges related to food waste valorization
- Contains invaluable knowledge on of food waste management, biorefineries, valuable specialty products and technoeconomic analysis
- Highlights modern advances and applications of food waste bioresources in various products’ recovery
Researchers and industry professionals working in the areas of food waste valorization and food science and technology; biochemical, chemical, and environmental engineers; policy makers and NGOs; environmental technologists; environmental engineers; food producers, students studying environmental engineering, food science and technology, food process engineering, biotechnology, environmental science, biochemical engineering, bioprocess technology, chemical engineering, and environmental technology
1. Introduction: Sources and characterization of food waste and food industry wastes
2. Valorisation of food wastes for biogas, biohydrogen and biohythane generation
3. Valorization of food waste for bioethanol and biobutanol production
4. Valorization of food waste for biodiesel production
5. Thermochemical conversion of food waste for bioenergy generation
6. Production of organic acids and enzymes/biocatalysts from food waste
7. Production of biopolymers and feed protein from food wastes
8. Production of fine chemicals from food wastes
9. Speciality chemicals and Nutraceuticals production from food industry wastes
10. Enzymes/ biocatalysts and bioreactors for valorization of food wastes
11. Aerobic biodegradation of food wastes
12. Bioenergy recovery from food processing wastewater- Microbial fuel cell
13. Integrated biorefineries of food waste
14. State of the art of food waste management in various countries
15. Techno economic analysis and environmental aspects of food waste management
16. Problems and issues of food waste based biorefineries
17. Environmental impacts and sustainability assessment of food loss and waste valorization: value chain analysis of food consumption
18. Analysis and regulations policies of food waste based circular economy and bio economy
19. Scaling up of food waste valorization, market outlooks- key concerns
20. New business & marketing concepts for cross-sector valorisation of food waste
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2020
- 1st May 2020
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
Dr. J. Rajesh Banu, Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Anna University Chennai, Tirunelveli region was formerly Post-Doctoral Fellow and Lecturer in Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University, South Korea. He received his PhD from Centre for Environmental studies, Anna University, India in the year 2006. He also had an experience of working in an environmental consultancy for one year. He has been the reviewer of many national and international journals. He is the author of 114 publications in SCI and SCIE journals with a cumulative impact factor of 330. His publications achieve more than 2000 citations and he has authored 10 book chapters in international publishers. He obtained 2 Major grants from Government of India and two consultancy from industries. He has guided 11 PhD students and 55 post graduate engineering students in the discipline of environmental engineering and Science. He was awarded with young scientist in the international conference (RACEE-2018) held at SSN college, Chennai, India. Dr. Rajesh banu’s research centers on biological wastewater treatment, Nutrient removal, Membrane Bioreactor mesophilic and thermophilic high rate anaerobic treatment of wastewater, Microbial Fuel cells, Energy recovery from waste and Sludge reduction. His prime area of research is generation of energy from solid waste.
Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Anna University, Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu, India
Dr. Gopalakrishnan Kumar, serves as Research Professor in School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Yonsei University, South Korea. Prior to this position he worked as Research Professor in Department of Environmental Engineering, Daegu University. Additionally, he is also Adjunct professor and Head of “Green Processing Bioremediation and Alternative Energies Group” at Ton Duc Thang university, Vietnam. He has received his Ph D from Feng Chia University, Taiwan. He was the recipient of prestigious JSPS post-doctoral fellowships (JSPS, Japan) and also Emilio Rosenblueth Fellowship (Mexico) for his post-doctoral studies. He is also visiting faculty in many universities around Europe (Hungary, Czech, Poland), India, Vietnam, China and Turkey. He has extensively published more than 135 SCI papers in highly prestigious Journals (including 2 cover image articles and 1 key scientific article), with total citations of nearly 2000. He also contributed to more than 15 book chapters and currently editing a book on “Bioploymers”. His major research interest includes biofuel production from lignocellulose/waste/wastewater and algal biomass, Microbial fuel/electrolysis cell (MFC& MEC) technologies. Additionally, he is working on application of green synthesized activated carbon and Nano particles for various environmental remediation applications. He also delivered more than 50 speeches (keynote/invited) in various conferences, seminars and workshops.
Research Professor, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Stavanger, Norway and Yonsei University, South Korea
Dr. M. Gunasekaran, Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, Anna University Chennai, Tirunelveli region was formerly Post-Doctoral Fellow in Department of Information and communication Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University, South Korea. He was awarded Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship as Research Student at the graduate school of Nagoya Institute of Technology, Nagoya, Japan. He received his PhD from Department of Physics, Anna University, India in the year 2007 in the field of renewable energy. He is a reviewer of international journals. He is the author of more than 30 publications in SCI and SCIE journals. His publications achieve more than 595 citations and he has authored 2 books and completed two PhD students. He obtained a Major grant from DST, Government of India under young scientist scheme. Dr. Gunasekaran’s research interest focus is on effective and environmental friendly material for solar cell research, Oxide metal/Semiconductor material for waste water treatment, Sludge reduction under photo irradiation, Energy recovery from waste and Biomass.
Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, Anna University, Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu, India.
Dr. S. Kavitha, completed her PhD in science and humanities at Anna University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. She received her Bachelor degree in Microbiology, and Masters in biotechnology at Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu, India. Her principal research interests are in the areas of biological sludge reduction and energy generation from various waste biomass. She is a reviewer in various international journals. She has authored about 38 technical research articles in outstanding journals including Bioresource Technology, Chemical Engineering Journal, Applied energy, Ultrasonics sonochemistry, Chemosphere journal, Environmental science & pollution research, Desalination and water treatment. Her publications achieve 679 citations and she has co-authored two book chapters, “Various sludge pretreatments: their impact on biogas generation” on a book entitled “Waste biomass management-A Holistic approach and " Modelling for anaerobic Process" on a book entitled “Optimization and Applicability Bioprocesses.
Anna University, Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu, India