Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Food Waste to Valuable Resources: Applications and Management compiles current information pertaining to food waste, placing particular emphasis on the themes of food waste management, biorefineries, valuable specialty products and technoeconomic analysis. Following its introduction, this book explores new valuable resource technologies, the bioeconomy, the technoeconomical evaluation of food-waste-based biorefineries, and the policies and regulations related to a food-waste-based economy. It is an ideal reference for researchers and industry professionals working in the areas of food waste valorization, food science and technology, food producers, policymakers and NGOs, environmental technologists, environmental engineers, and students studying environmental engineering, food science, and more.
- Presents recent advances, trends and challenges related to food waste valorization
- Contains invaluable knowledge on of food waste management, biorefineries, valuable specialty products and technoeconomic analysis
- Highlights modern advances and applications of food waste bioresources in various products’ recovery
Researchers and industry professionals working in the areas of food waste valorization and food science and technology; biochemical, chemical, and environmental engineers; policy makers and NGOs; environmental technologists; environmental engineers; food producers; students studying environmental engineering, food science and technology, food process engineering, biotechnology, environmental science, biochemical engineering, bioprocess technology, chemical engineering, and environmental technology
1. Introduction: Sources and characterization of food waste and food industry wastes
2. Valorisation of food wastes for biogas, biohydrogen and biohythane generation
3. Valorization of food waste for bioethanol and biobutanol production
4. Valorization of food waste for biodiesel production
5. Thermochemical conversion of food waste for bioenergy generation
6. Production of organic acids and enzymes/biocatalysts from food waste
7. Production of biopolymers and feed protein from food wastes
8. Production of fine chemicals from food wastes
9. Speciality chemicals and Nutraceuticals production from food industry wastes
10. Enzymes/ biocatalysts and bioreactors for valorization of food wastes
11. Aerobic biodegradation of food wastes
12. Bioenergy recovery from food processing wastewater- Microbial fuel cell
13. Integrated biorefineries of food waste
14. State of the art of food waste management in various countries
15. Techno economic analysis and environmental aspects of food waste management
16. Problems and issues of food waste based biorefineries
17. Environmental impacts and sustainability assessment of food loss and waste valorization: value chain analysis of food consumption
18. Analysis and regulations policies of food waste based circular economy and bio economy
19. Scaling up of food waste valorization, market outlooks- key concerns
20. New business & marketing concepts for cross-sector valorisation of food waste
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2020
- 29th April 2020
- Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Dr. J. Rajesh Banu, Associate Professor, Department of life sciences, Central University of Tamil Nadu, Neelakudy, Tamil Nadu, India was formerly Assistant Professor in Anna University Regional Campus, Tirunelveli, India, Post-Doctoral Fellow and Lecturer in Sungkyunkwan University, South Korea. He is also a visiting researcher in East China Normal University, China. He is the author of 180 publications in SCI and SCIE journals with a cumulative impact factor of 691.38. His publications achieved more than 4000 citations. He has authored 2 books and published 22 book chapters and 14 conference proceedings. He obtained 5 Major grants from Government of India and two consultancy from industries. He has guided 14 Ph.D. students and 70 post graduate engineering students in the discipline of environmental engineering and Science. He was awarded with think of ecology award by Hiyoshi Japan for the year 2018. Dr. Rajesh banu’s research centres on biological wastewater treatment, Nutrient removal, Membrane Bioreactor, Microbial Fuel cells and Energy recovery from, micro and macroalgae biorefinery, lignin valorization.
Associate Professor, Department of life sciences, Central University of Tamil Nadu, Neelakudy, Tamil Nadu, India
Dr. Gopalakrishnan Kumar serves as Associate professor in Institute of Chemistry, Bioscience and Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Stavanger, Stavanger, Norway. Additionally, he plays the role as “specially appointed Associate professor” concentrating on research in School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Yonsei University, South Korea . His major research interest includes biofuel/biochemical production from lignocellulose/waste/wastewater and algal biomass via biorefinery and valorization schemes and Microbial fuel/electrolysis cell (MFC& MEC) technologies. He has extensively published more than 205 SCI papers in highly prestigious Journals (including 2 cover image articles, 7 high cited/hot articles and 1 key scientific article), with total citations of 5000 & h-index of 37. He also contributed to more than 15 book chapters and edited/editing 2 books.
Associate professor, Institute of Chemistry, Bioscience and Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Stavanger, Stavanger, Norway and specially appointed Associate professor, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Yonsei University, South Korea
Dr. M. Gunasekaran, Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, Anna University Chennai, Tirunelveli region was formerly Post-Doctoral Fellow in Department of Information and communication Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University, South Korea. He was awarded Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship as Research Student at the graduate school of Nagoya Institute of Technology, Nagoya, Japan. He received his PhD from Department of Physics, Anna University, India in the year 2007 in the field of renewable energy. He is a reviewer of international journals. He is the author of more than 30 publications in SCI and SCIE journals. His publications achieve more than 595 citations and he has authored 2 books and completed two PhD students. He obtained a Major grant from DST, Government of India under young scientist scheme. Dr. Gunasekaran’s research interest focus is on effective and environmental friendly material for solar cell research, Oxide metal/Semiconductor material for waste water treatment, Sludge reduction under photo irradiation, Energy recovery from waste and Biomass.
Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, Anna University Regional Campus, Tirunelveli, India.
Dr. S. Kavitha completed her PhD in Department of Civil Engineering, Regional campus, Anna University, Tirunelveli, India. She received her Bachelor degree in Microbiology, and Masters in biotechnology at Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu, India. She is a reviewer in various international journals. She has authored about 50 articles in SCI and SCIE journals with a cumulative impact factor of 250. Her publications achieved 1000 citations. She has authored one reference book and 4 book chapters. She has received best poster award for the work entitled “Recovery of volatile fatty acids from marine macroalgae hydrolysate using energy efficient thermo-acidic coupled ultrasonic homogenization” at 8th Global Conference on Global Warming-2019 (GCGW-2019) on April 2019 in Doha, Qatar. Her major research includes generation of energy from biomass, micro and macroalgae biorefinery, lignin valorization and microbial fuel cells.
Former Researcher, Anna University Regional campus, Tirunelveli, India
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.