Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Food Structure and Functionality helps users further understand the latest research related to food structuring and de-structuring, with an emphasis on structuring to achieve improved texture, taste perception, health and shelf-stability. Topics covered address food structure, nanotechnology and functionality, with an emphasis on the novel experimental and modeling approaches used to link structure and functionality in food. The book also covers food structure design across the lifespan, as well as design for healthcare and medical applications. Dairy matrices for oral and gut functionality is also discussed, as is deconstructing dairy matrices for the release of nutrient and flavor components.
This book will benefit food scientists, technologists, engineers and physical chemists working in the whole food science field, new product developers, researchers, academics and professionals working in the food industry, including nutritionists, dieticians, physicians, biochemists and biophysicists.
- Covers recent trends related to non-thermal processes, nanotechnology and modern food structures in the food industry
- Begins with an introduction to the structure/function of food products and their characterization methods
- Addresses biopolymer composites, interfacial layers in food emulsions, amyloid-like fibrillary structures, self-assembly in foods, lipid nano-carriers, microfluidics, rheology and function of hydrocolloids
- Discusses applications and the effects of emerging technologies on process, structure and function relationships
Food scientists, technologists, engineers and physical chemists working in the whole food science field; new product developers; researchers, academics and professionals working in the food industry, including nutritionists, dieticians, physicians; biochemists and biophysicists
1. Structure and functionality of Interfacial layers in food emulsions
2. Rheology, structure and sensory perception of hydrocolloids
3. Designing Food Structure Using Microfluidics
4. Tailoring structure of foods using high hydrostatic pressure
5. Effects of electric fields and electromagnetic wave on food structure and functionality
6. Microscopy and spectroscopy techniques applied to analyze the microstructure of food powders
7. Formulation of lipid nano-carriers for the food bioactive ingredients
8. Starch modification by novel technologies and their functionality
9. Nanostructured proteins
10. Interactions, structures and functional properties of plant protein-polymer complexes
11. Prospects of food-derived α-glucosidase inhibitors in the management of diabetes
12. Structure-activity relationship between food components and metabolic syndrome
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2020
- 17th November 2020
- Academic Press
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Charis M. Galanakis is a multidisciplinary scientist in agricultural sciences as well as food and environmental science, technology, and sustainability, with experience in both industry and academia. He is the research and innovation director of Galanakis Laboratories in Chania, Greece, an adjunct professor of King Saud University in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and the director of Food Waste Recovery Group (SIG5) of ISEKI Food Association in Vienna, Austria. He pioneered the new discipline of food waste recovery and has established the most prominent innovation network in the field. He also serves as a senior consultant for the food industry and expert evaluator for international and regional funded programs and proposals. He is an editorial board member of Food and Bioproducts Processing, Food Research International, and Foods, has edited over 45 books, and has published hundreds of research articles, reviews, monographs, chapters, and conference proceedings.
Galanakis Laboratories, Chania, Greece
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.