- Introduces a range of processing techniques that are used in food manufacturing
- Explains the key principles of each process, including the equipment used and the effects of processing on micro-organisms that contaminate foods
- Describes post-processing operations, including packaging and distribution logistics
Table of Contents
- Part 1 Basic principles: Properties of foods. Part 2 Ambient-temperature processing: Raw material preparation; Size reduction; Mixing and forming; Separation and concentration of food components; Food biotechnology; Irradiation; High-pressure processing; Minimal processing methods under development. Part 3 Processing by application of heat: Heat processing; Heat processing using steam or water; Pasteurisation; Heat sterilisation; Evaporation and distillation; Extrusion; Heat processing using hot air; Smoking; Baking and roasting; Frying; Heat processing by direct and radiated energy. Part 4 Processing by removal of heat: Chilling and modified atmospheres; Freezing; Freeze drying and freeze concentration. Part 5 Post-processing operations: Coating; Packaging; Filling and sealing of containers; Materials handling and process control.
- No. of pages: 928
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Woodhead Publishing 2009
- Published: June 22, 2009
- Imprint: Woodhead Publishing
- Paperback ISBN: 9781845692162
- eBook ISBN: 9781845696344
About the Author
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Food Processing Technology"