1. Fluorine, Fluorocarbons and Fluoropolymers
2. Where does F come from? A Primer on Fluorspar
3. Inception and Technological Evolution of Fluoropolymers
4. Past, Present and Future Applications of Fluoropolymers
5. Environmental, Health, Safety Impacts of Fluoropolymer and its
6. Market Driving Forces of Fluoropolymers: Past, Present and Future
7. Carbon and Energy Footprints of Fluoropolymers
8. Recycling Fluoropolymers
9. Disposal of Fluoropolymers: Incineration and Landfilling and Possible
10. The New Geography of Fluoropolymer Resin and Parts
11. Future Directions; putting it all together
Fluoropolymers in the 21st Century is a concise but complete tutorial on these high performance materials from manufacturing to disposal, with a particularly emphasis on sustainability. The book considers three primary factors which are having an impact on the industry: environmental concerns and the need for improved sustainability, globalization of manufacturing and consumption, and the transition of legacy companies out of traditional materials and into the life sciences.
With the fate of the industry uncertain, the book traces the trends developed through the early decades of the material through to the present day and beyond, providing a thorough introduction to new practitioners in this field, and presenting key expert insights into the future direction in fluoropolymer technologies and products.
By putting together this information and insight into a single volume, this book provides materials scientists, chemical engineers, polymer scientists and engineers working in a range of industries – such as automotive, aerospace, power generation, and chemical processing – with an introduction to fluoropolymer materials and current trends in their use, as well as indicating future directions for research and application in this field.
- A concise introduction to fluoropolymers, with a particular emphasis on the state of the market, and increasingly important environmental, health and safety aspects
- Assists in decision-making in relation to application development, materials selection, and end-of-life considerations of fluoropolymers
- Gives expert insight to help readers understand the key trends and changes in the fluoropolymer industries, technologies, and products
Engineers and other professionals that use and process fluoropolymers across different industries in all important segments including automotive, aerospace, electronic, pharmaceutical, food, beverage, chemical processing industries, semiconductors, furniture, printing/publishing, lubricant oil/grease, oil/gas, medical devices, plastic compounders. Professionals involved in polymer manufacturing and part fabrication. End-users of fluoropolymers and students
- No. of pages:
- © William Andrew 2019
- 1st October 2018
- William Andrew
- Hardcover ISBN:
Sina Ebnesajjad is the series editor of Plastics Design Library (PDL) published in the William Andrew imprint of Elsevier. This Series is a unique series, comprising technology and applications handbooks, data books and practical guides tailored to the needs of practitioners. Sina was the editor-in-chief of William Andrew Publishing from 2005 to 2007, which was acquired by Elsevier in 2009.
He retired as a Senior Technology Associate in 2005 from the DuPont fluoropolymers after nearly 24 years of service. Sina founded of FluoroConsultants Group, LLC in 2006 where he continues to work. Sina earned his Bachelor of Science from the School of Engineering of the University of Tehran in 1976, Master of Science and PhD from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, all in Chemical Engineering.
He is author, editor and co-author of fifteen technical and data books including five handbooks on fluoropolymers technology and applications. He is author and co-author of three books in surface preparation and adhesion of materials, two of which are in their second editions. Sina has been involved with technical writing and publishing since 1974.
His experiences include fluoropolymer technologies (polytetrafluoroethylene and its copolymers) including polymerization, finishing, fabrication, product development, failure analysis, market development and technical service. Sina holds six patents.
Fluoroconsultants Group, Chadds Ford, PA, USA