- Print ISBN 9781437734614
- Electronic ISBN 9781437734621
In this first book on an additive group of growing importance, the authors review the commercial additives available on the market. The applications chapters provide you with a step by step description of techniques to select and incorporate these additives in various products.
Engineers and scientits involved in polymer processing need practical information about these additives, their applications, and proper and safe handling. Until now much of this information has been difficult to obtain because of commercial secrecy.
In recent years, the applications of fluoropolymer additives have expanded significantly, with even the meaning of ‘fluoropolymer additives’ expanding from relatively the narrow definition of PTFE powder fillers to a wide variety of fluoropolymer elastomers, used as a processing aid for plastics processing such as extrusion, injection molding, and film blowing. The benefits of fluoropolymer additives used in plastics are the elimination of sharkskin defects, increases in process speed and output (up to 20%), the reduction of die build up, the reduction of gels and optical defects, etc.
In addition, fluropolymer additives are being increasingly used in inks, lubricants, and coatings. For example, in the coating industry fluoropolymer additives can increase the life cycle of exterior coatings due to their excellent weatherability and subsequently increase the time between recoats.
Fluoropolymer additives are becoming more widely used with key applications including
use as a polymer processing aid (increasing speed and reducing faults) and as an additive
to lubricants, inks and coatings. This book is the only practical guide available to the
selection and use of fluoropolymer additives, and will help readers to optimize existing
fluoropolymer applications and implement new ones.
Fluoropolymers are known as an area where detailed information is hard to come by. In
this book two former DuPont employees provide a wide range of industry sectors with the
essential practical information and data they need to realize the full benefits of
Written for practicing engineers, Ebnesajjad and Morgan take a highly practical approach
to the subject, based on real-world experience and case studies.
Primary: Plastics Engineers and Product Design Engineers across a wide range of industrial
sectors: automotive, aerospace, electronic, pharmaceutical, consumer, furniture,
printing/publishing, lubricants, oil&gas, medical devices; Plastics Compounders.
Secondary: University researchers and graduate students, purchasing managers, fluoropolymer
manufacturers, fluoropolymer additive manufacturers.
2. Description of Additives
PART I MANUFACTURING AND PROPERTIES
3. Manufacturing and Properties of High Molecular Weight fluoropolymer Additives
4. Manufacturing and Properties of Low Molecular Weight fluoropolymer Additives
5. Manufacturing and Properties of Fluoroelastomer-based Additives
PART II APPLICATIONS
6. Applications of fluoropolymer-based Additives: Lubrication
7. Applications of fluoropolymer-based Additives: Plastics
8. Applications of fluoropolymer-based Additives: Inks
9. Applications of fluoropolymer-based Additives: Coatings, Paints and Finishes
10. Applications of fluoropolymer-based Additives: Elastomers
11. Applications of Processing Aid Additives (fluoroelastomers and FLPR) - Extrusion, Film Blowing, Blow Molding, Injection Molding, and Others
PART III COMPLIANCE AND ECONOMICS
12. Compliance with Regulations and Standards
13. Safety, Health, Environmental, Disposal, and Recycling
Appendix I Chemical Resistance of PTFE
Appendix II FDA 21CFR1550