This comprehensive resource brings together cutting edge information about fluid, electrolyte, and acid-base physiology and fluid therapy as they apply to small animal practice. It also offers complete coverage of relevant physiology and pathophysiology, as well as important information for interpreting and analyzing biochemical test results.
- Provides the most up-to-date information for understanding and managing a wide range of metabolic disorders.
- Offers extensive coverage of patient evaluation, possible causes, normal and abnormal clinical and laboratory features, approaches to therapy, technical aspects of therapy, patient monitoring, assessing risk, and prediction of outcomes for each disorder.
- Contributions from 25 experts in the field ensure the most current, authoritative coverage.
- Comprehensive references offer opportunities for further research.
- Helpful tables, algorithms, and illustrations highlight important concepts.
- A section on Special Therapy, including blood transfusions and blood substitutes, critical nutrition, and dialysis.
Section 1: Applied Physiology
1. Applied physiology of body fluids in dogs and cats
2. Applied renal physiology
Section 2: Electrolyte Disorders
3. Disorders of sodium and water: Hypernatremia and hyponatremia
4. Disorders of chloride: Hyperchloremia and hypochloremia
5. Disorders of potassium: Hyperkalemia and hypokalemia
6. Disorders of calcium: Hypercalcemia and hypocalcemia EXPANDED!
7. Disorders of phosphorus: Hyperphosphatemia and hypophosphatemia
8. Disorders of magnesium: Hypomagnesemia
Section 3: Acid-Base Disorders
9. Introduction to acid-base disorders
10. Metabolic acid-base disorders
11. Respiratory acid-base disorders
12. Mixed acid-base disorders
13. Strong ion difference approach to acid-base balance NEW!
Section 4: Fluid Therapy
14. Introduction to Fluid Therapy
15. Technical aspects of fluid therapy: Catheters and monitoring of fluid therapy
16. Monitoring fluid therapy and complications of fluid therapy NEW!
17. Perioperative management of fluid therapy
18. Fluid therapy for gastrointestinal and pancreatic disease
19. Fluid therapy for hepatic disease EXPANDED!
20. Fluid therapy in endocrine and metabolic disorders
21. Fluid and diuretic therapy in heart failure
22. Fluid therapy during intrinsic renal failure
23. Shock Syndromes
Section 5: Special Therapy
24. Blood transfusion and blood substitutes
25. Total parenteral nutrition
26. Enteral nutrition NEW!
27. Fluid therapy with macromolecular plasma volume expanders
28. Peritoneal dialysis
29. Hemodialysis EXPANDED!
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2006
- 2nd December 2005
- Hardcover ISBN:
Professor of Medicine, Associate Dean for Administration and Curriculum, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences and Veterinary Administration, College of Veterinary Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH