- Nursing-focused content thoroughly describes health care finance and accounting from the nurse manager’s point of view.
- Numerous worksheets and tables including healthcare spreadsheets, budgets, and calculations illustrate numerous financial and accounting methods.
- Chapter opener features include learning objectives and an overview of chapter content to help you organize and summarize your notes.
- Key concepts definitions found at the end of each chapter help summarize your understanding of chapter content.
- Suggested Readings found at the end of each chapter give additional reading and research opportunities.
Part I: A Financial Management Framework
1. Introduction and Overview
2. The Health Care Environment
3. The Role of Financial Management and Nurse Leadership in Health Care Organizations
4. Key Issues in Applied Economics
5. Quality, Costs, and Financing
Part II: Financial Accounting
6. Accounting Principles
7. Analysis of Financial Statement Information
Part III: Cost Analysis
8. Cost Management
9. Determining Health Care Costs and Prices
10. Costs and Other Issues Related to Recruiting and Retaining Staff
Part IV: Planning and Control
11. Strategic Management
12. Budgeting Concepts
13. Operating Budgets
14. Revenue Budgeting
15. Performance Budgeting
16. Controlling Operating Results
17. Variance Analysis: Examples, Extensions, and Caveats
18. Benchmarking, Productivity, and Cost-Benefit and Cost-Effectiveness Analysis
Part V: Managing Financial Resources
19. Short-Term Financial Resources
20. Long-Term Financial Resources
Part VI: Looking to the Future
22. The Nurse as Entrepreneur
23. Nursing and Financial Management: Current Issues and Future Directions