Designed for anyone involved in the management of musculoskeletal pain, this practical guide to fibromyalgia syndrome and its treatment provides a multidisciplinary perspective on this multifaceted and frequently encountered syndrome. The updated and expanded 2nd edition rapidly distills contemporary research on the subject and relates it specifically to the problems of assessment, diagnosis, and management.
- Information on the diagnosis and management of fibromyalgia is provided with a quick and clear reference for dealing with a group of difficult to manage patients.
- The latest research findings are included in one place, eliminating the need to scan through multiple journals.
- All aspects of this multifaceted syndrome are addressed to help make a clear diagnosis and select the most appropriate management.
- Complementary approaches to treatment include answers to the questions many patients ask.
- Content is written by a well-known osteopath with contributions from other expert professionals — providing a multidisciplinary view of the problem and a variety of approaches to management.
- The history and definition of fibromyalgia
2. Fibromyalgia's symptom patterns: Causes or effects?
3. Conditions associated with fibromyalgia
4. The causes of fibromyalgia: various hypotheses explored
5. Chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia compared
6. Acupuncture treatment of fibromyalgia and myofascial pain
7. Interdisciplinary pain management in fibromyalgia
8. Differential diagnosis: myofascial pain syndrome.
9. Microcurrent therapy in the treatment of fibromyalgia.
10. The metabolic rehabilitation of fibromyalgia patients
11. Integration: what seems to be helping?
12. Fibromyalgia: treating associated conditions
13. Bodywork approaches to fibromyalgia
14. A fibromyalgia protocol
15. Strain/counterstrain self-treatment for some FMS tender points
Appendix: Keeping a record
- No. of pages:
- © Churchill Livingstone 2003
- 25th September 2003
- Churchill Livingstone
- Paperback ISBN:
Leon Chaitow ND DO is an internationally known and respected osteopathic and naturopathic practitioner and teacher of soft tissue manipulation methods of treatment. He is author of over 60 books, including a series on Advanced Soft Tissue Manipulation (Muscle Energy Techniques, Positional Release Techniques, Modern Neuromuscular Techniques) and also Palpation Skills; Cranial Manipulation: Theory and Practice; Fibromyalgia Syndrome: A Practitioner’s Guide to Treatment, and many more. He is editor of the peer reviewed Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies, that offers a multidisciplinary perspective on physical methods of patient care. Leon Chaitow was for many years senior lecturer on the Therapeutic Bodywork degree courses which he helped to design at the School of Integrated Health, University of Westminster, London, where is he now an Honorary Fellow. He continues to teach and practice part-time in London, when not in Corfu, Greece where he focuses on his writing.
Registered Osteopath and Naturopath; Honorary Fellow and Former Senior Lecturer, School of Life Sciences, University of Westminster, London, UK; Fellow, British Naturopathic Association.; Fellow, College of Osteopaths, UK