A concise guide to the care of small mammals, Ferrets, Rabbits, and Rodents: Clinical Medicine and Surgery covers the conditions seen most often in veterinary practice. The book emphasizes preventive medicine along with topics including disease management, ophthalmology, dentistry, and zoonosis. More than 400 illustrations demonstrate key concepts related to radiographic interpretation, relevant anatomy, and diagnostic, surgical, and therapeutic techniques. Now in full color, this edition adds coverage of more surgical procedures and expands coverage of zoonotic disease. From editors Katherine Quesenberry and James W. Carpenter, along with a team of expert contributors, the "Pink Book" provides an authoritative, single source of information that is hard to find elsewhere.
- A logical organization makes it quick and easy to find important information, with each section devoted to a single animal and chapters within each section organized by body system.
- Over 400 photographs and illustrations highlight key concepts such as radiographic interpretation and the main points of diagnostic, surgical, and therapeutic techniques.
- A chapter on ophthalmology provides hard-to-find information on eye care for ferrets, rabbits, rodents, and other small mammals.
- Coverage of preventive medicine includes basic biology, husbandry, and routine care of the healthy animal.
- The drug formulary supplies dosage instructions for ferrets, rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas, hamsters, rats/mice, prairie dogs, hedgehogs, and sugar gliders.
- Chapter outlines offer at-a-glance overviews of the contents of each chapter.
- Handy tables and charts make it easy to find key information.
Section One: Ferrets
1. Basic Anatomy, Physiology, and Husbandry
2. Basic Approach to Veterinary Care
3. Gastrointestinal Diseases
4. Disorders of the Urinary and Reproductive Systems
5. Cardiovascular and Other Diseases
6. Respiratory Diseases
7. Endocrine Diseases
9. Dermatologic Diseases
10. Muscoloskeletal and Neurologic Diseases
11. Soft Tissue Surgery
Section Two: Rabbits
12. Basic Anatomy, Physiology, and Husbandry
13. Basic Approach to Veterinary Care
14. Nutrition and Gastrointestinal Physiology
15. Gastrointestinal Diseases
16. Respiratory Disease and Pasteurellosis
17. Disorders of the Reproductive and Urinary Systems
18. Dermatologic Diseases
19. Neurologic and Musculoskeletal Diseases
20. Cardiovascular and Lymphoproliferative Diseases
21. Soft Tissue Surgery
Section Three: Guinea Pigs and Chinchillas
22. Biology, Husbandry, and Clinical Techniques of Guinea Pigs and Chinchillas
23. Diseases of Guinea Pigs
24. Diseases of Chinchillas
25. Soft Tissue Surgery
Section Four: Small Rodents
26. Basic Anatomy, Physiology, and Clinical Techniques of Small Rodents
27. Diseases of Small Rodents
28. Soft Tissue Surgery
Section Five: Other Small Mammals
29. Sugar Gliders
30. African Hedgehogs
Section Six: General Topics
31. Anesthesia, Analgesia, and Sedation of Small Mammals
32. Small Mammal Dentistry
33. Orthopedics in Small Mammals
34. Small Mammal Diagnostic and Surgical Endoscopy
35. Diagnostic Imaging
36. Cytology and Hematology of Small Mammals
37. Ophthalmologic Diseases in Small Pet Mammals
38. Emergency and Critical Care of Small Mammals
39. Behavior of Small Mammals
40. Zoonotic Diseases
Section Seven: Drug Formulary
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2012
- 28th November 2011
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Diplomate, American Board of Veterinary Practitioners (Avian Practice), Service Head, Avian and Exotic Pet Medicine, The Animal Medical Center, New York, NY
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS