- eBook ISBN 9780702052064
- Print ISBN 9780702043383
This brand new book is the first of its kind dedicated to exercise and fitness training after stroke. It aims to provide health and exercise professionals, and other suitably qualified individuals, with the necessary information to design and evaluate exercise and fitness programmes for stroke survivors that are safe and effective. The content is based on current evidence and aligned with national clinical guidelines and service frameworks, highlighting the importance of physical activity in self-management after stroke. The book has also been written for stroke survivors and carers who may be interested in physical activity after stroke.
Exercise and Fitness Training After Stroke comprehensively discusses the manifestations of stroke and how stroke is managed, the evidence for exercise and fitness training after stroke, how to design, deliver, adapt and evaluate exercise, as well as how to set up exercise services and specialist fitness training programmes for stroke survivors.
Part 1. Essentials of stroke care
1. What is a stroke?
2. The management of stroke
3. Post stroke problems
Part 2. Foundations for exercise and fitness training after stroke
4. Physical fitness and function after stroke
5. Evidence for exercise and fitness training after stroke
6. Understanding and enhancing exercise behaviour after stroke
7. Communication: getting it right
8. One stroke survivor’s journey
Part 3. Practical applications of exercise and fitness training after stroke
9. Preparing for exercise after stroke
10. Designing and delivering an exercise and fitness training programme to stroke survivors
11. Evaluating exercise and fitness training after stroke: outcome assessment
Part 4. Exercise after stroke: service design and guidelines
12. Models of exercise after stroke service design
13. Guidelines for exercise after stroke service design