Build the skills you need to understand and resolve ethical problems! Ethical Dimensions in the Health Professions, 7th Edition provides a solid foundation in ethical theory and concepts, applying these principles to the ethical issues surrounding health care today. It uses a unique, six-step decision-making process as a framework for thinking critically and thoughtfully, with case studies of patients to illustrate ethical topics such as conflict of interest, patient confidentiality, and upholding best practices. Written by Regina F. Doherty, an educator and occupational therapist, this book will help you make caring and effective ethical choices that improve patient care and outcomes.
- UNIQUE! Ethical decision-making process provides an organizing framework to use in making the best decisions when faced with ethical problems.
- Patient stories depict real-life situations and demonstrate the ethical decision-making process.
- Reflection boxes depict important concepts and stimulate critical thinking.
- Summary boxes highlight the most important information in each section.
- Coverage of interprofessional team decision-making reflects this important, expanding movement in healthcare nationally and internationally.
- Questions for thought and discussion encourage students to apply the ethical decision-making process to different situations.
Section 1: Introduction to Ethical Dimensions in the Health Professions
1. Morality and Ethics: What They Are and Why They Matter
2. The Ethical Goal of Professional Practice: A Caring Response
3. Prototypes of Ethical Problems
4. Ethics Theories and Approaches: Conceptual Tools for Ethical Reasoning
5. The Six-Step Process of Ethical Decision Making
Section 2: Ethical Dimensions of Professional Roles
6. Ethical Life as a Health Professional: Integrity, Resilience and Courage
7. Shared Moral Community: Ethical Decision Making in Interprofessional Teams
8. Living Ethically Within Healthcare Organizations
Section 3: Ethical Dimensions of the Professional-Patient Relationship
9. Honoring Confidentiality
10. Communication and Shared Decision Making
11. Informed Consent in Care Delivery, Research, and Health Information Management
Section 4: Ethical Dimensions of Chronic and End-of-Life Care
12. Ethical Issues in Chronic Care and Disability
13. Ethical Issues in End-of-Life Care
Section 5: Ethical Dimensions of the Social Context of Healthcare
14. Distributive Justice: Rights, Resource Allocation, and Policy Considerations
15. Compensatory and Social Justice: Societal Sources of Claims for Healthcare
16. Professionals as Good Citizens: Responsibility and Opportunity
- No. of pages:
- © Elsevier 2022
- 1st November 2020
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Associate Professor, Occupational Therapy Department, School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, MGH Institute of Health Professions, Boston, MA; Senior Occupational Therapist, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.