Equip yourself for today's psychiatric nursing practice with all of the essential nursing interventions and clinical content combined with current research and evidence-based practice. From the author of the bestselling Foundations of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, this text was specifically developed to effectively prepare students in today's shorter courses. The new edition features updated content along with new opening unit pages with vignettes, Selected Concept boxes and a new chapter on stress and stress-related disorders.
- UNIQUE! Examining the Evidence boxes explain the reasoning behind nursing interventions and how research affects everyday practice.
- UNIQUE! Applying the Art sections communication tables in the clinical chapters provide examples of therapeutic and nontherapeutic communication techniques as well as realistic nurse-patient interaction scenarios.
- Key concepts and terms clarify essential terminology.
- Potential Nursing Diagnosis tables give several possible nursing diagnoses for a particular disorder along with the associated signs and symptoms.
- Vignettes offer succinct, real-life glimpses into clinical practice by describing patients and their psychiatric disorders.
- Assessment Guidelines familiarize readers with methods of assessing patients.
- Critical thinking questions introduce clinical situations in psychiatric nursing.
- Key Points to Remember outline the main concepts of each chapter in an easy to comprehend and concise bulleted list.
UNIT I: ESSENTIAL THEORETICAL CONCEPTS FOR PRACTICE
- Practicing the Science and the Art of Psychiatric Nursing
- Mental Health and Mental Illness
- Theories and Therapies
- Biological Basis for Understanding Psychopharmacology
- Settings for Psychiatric Care
- Legal and Ethical Basis for Practice
- Nursing Process and QSEN: The Foundation for Safe and Effective Care
- Communication Skills: Medium for All Nursing Practice
- Therapeutic Relationships and the Clinical Interview
- Stress and Stress-Related Disorders NEW!
- Anxiety, Anxiety Disorders, and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorders
- Somatic and Dissociative Disorders
- Personality Disorders
- Eating Disorders
- Mood Disorders: Depression
- Mood Disorders: Bipolar Disorders
- Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorders
- Neurocognitive Disorders
- Substance Use and Addictive Disorders
- Crisis and Mass Disaster
- Child, Partner, and Elder Violence
- Sexual Violence
- Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors
- Anger, Aggression, and Violence
- Care for the Dying and Those who Grieve
- Children and Adolescents
- Older Adults
UNIT II: TOOLS FOR PRACTICE OF THE ART
UNIT III: CARING FOR PATIENTS WITH PSYCHOBIOLOGICAL DISORDERS
UNIT IV: COMMUNICATING WITH AND PLANNING CARE FOR PATIENTS EXPERIENCING PSYCHIATRIC EMERGENCIES
UNIT V: COMMUNICATING WITH AND PLANNING CARE FOR PATIENTS WITH DESCRETE NEEDS
- © Saunders 2013
- 1st October 2012
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN: