- New DSM-5 criteria boxes in an appendix
- Updated Chapters include:
- Chapter 17: Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorder –new material on the Recovery Model adapted for schizophrenia, new Matrix 7 domains for Cognition affected by Schizophrenia, and an updated chapter drug table which now includes the latest drugs for schizophrenia
- Chapter 15: Mood Disorders: Depression – the chapter drug table has been updated with the latest drugs for depression
- Chapter 16: Bipolar Spectrum Disorders – the medication tables have been updated throughout
- Chapter 11: Anxiety, Anxiety Disorders, and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorders – this chapter has been updated with new content
- Chapter 12: Somatoform Disorders and Dissociative Disorders – the section on somatic symptom disorder has been thoroughly revised
- Chapter 19: Addiction and Compulsions – this chapter has been rewritten with additions of substances, medications and new tables
- UNIQUE! Examining the Evidence boxes explain the reasoning behind nursing interventions and how research affects everyday practice.
- UNIQUE! Applying the Art sections communication tables in the clinical chapters provide examples of therapeutic and nontherapeutic communication techniques as well as realistic nurse-patient interaction scenarios.
- Key concepts and terms clarify essential terminology.
- Potential Nursing Diagnosis tables give several possible nursing diagnoses for a particular disorder along with the associated signs and symptoms.
- Vignettes offer succinct, real-life glimpses into clinical practice by describing patients and their psychiatric disorders.
- Assessment Guidelines familiarize readers with methods of assessing patients.
- Critical thinking questions introduce clinical situations in psychiatric nursing
UNIT I: ESSENTIAL THEORETICAL CONCEPTS FOR PRACTICE
1. Practicing the Science and the Art of Psychiatric Nursing
2. Mental Health and Mental Illness
3. Theories and Therapies
4. Biological Basis for Understanding Psychopharmacology
5. Settings for Psychiatric Care
6. Legal and Ethical Basis for Practice
UNIT II: TOOLS FOR PRACTICE OF THE ART
7. Nursing Process and QSEN: The Foundation for Safe and Effective Care UPDATED!
8. Communication Skills: Medium for All Nursing Practice
9. Therapeutic Relationships and the Clinical Interview
UNIT III: CARING FOR PATIENTS WITH PSYCHOBIOLOGICAL DISORDERS
10. Stress and Stress-Related Disorders NEW!
11. Anxiety, Anxiety Disorders, and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorders UPDATED!
12. Somatic and Dissociative Disorders UPDATED!
13. Personality Disorders
14. Eating Disorders
15. Mood Disorders: Depression UPDATED!
16. Mood Disorders: Bipolar Disorders UPDATED!
17. Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorders
18. Neurocognitive Disorders
19. Substance Use and Addictive Disorders UPDATED!
UNIT IV: COMMUNICATING WITH AND PLANNING CARE FOR PATIENTS EXPERIENCING PSYCHIATRIC EMERGENCIES
20. Crisis and Mass Disaster
21. Child, Partner, and Elder Violence
22. Sexual Violence
23. Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors
24. Anger, Aggression, and Violence
25. Care for the Dying and Those who Grieve
UNIT V: COMMUNICATING WITH AND PLANNING CARE FOR PATIENTS WITH DESCRETE NEEDS
26. Children and Adolescents
28. Older Adults
A DSM-5 Classification
B NANDA-International Approved Nursing Diagnoses
C DSM-5 Criteria Boxes