This third edition of Essentials of Pain Medicine offers an accessible and concise, yet complete, overview of today's theory and practice of pain medicine and regional anesthesia. From a review of basic considerations through local anesthetics and nerve block techniques, this book provides the reader with an excellent tool for exam review or practice of Pain Management.
- Organized in a concise, practical quick-reference format.
- All chapters are brief and easy to read quickly.
- Offers specific strategies for the evaluation and management of a full range of pain syndromes, including cancer pain.
- Features over 230 diagrams, illustrations, summary charts and tables that clarify the information and make it easy to apply.
- Discusses the latest drugs and therapeutic approaches, such as acupuncture.
- Presents the management of pain for every setting where it is practiced, including the emergency room, the critical care unit, and the pain clinic.
I. BASIC CONSIDERATIONS
1. Anatomy and Physiology of Somatosensory and Pain Processing
2. The Neurochemistry of Somatosensory and Pain Processing
3. Taxonomy: Definition of Pain Terms and Chronic Pain Syndromes
II. CLINICAL EVALUATION AND DIAGNOSTIC EXAMINATIONS
4. Physical Examination of the Patient with Pain
5. Pain Assessment
6. Psychologic Evaluation and Testing
7. Neurophysiologic Testing for Pain
8. Anatomy, Imaging and Common Pain Generating Degenerative Pathologies of the Spine
9. Determination of Disability
III. PHARMACOLOGY AND PHARMACOLOGIC MODALITIES
10. Opioid Receptors
11. Major Opioids in Pain Management
12. Minor and Short-Acting Opioids
13. Opioid Therapy: Adverse Effects Including Addiction
14. Psychopharmacology for Pain Medicine
15. Membrane Stabilizers
16. Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs and COX-2 Selective Inhibitors
17. Muscle Relaxants
18. Drugs for the Interventional Physician: Botulinum Toxin, Steroids, Radiopaque Dye
IV. THERAPEUTIC INTERVENTIONS
19. Diagnostic Nerve Blocks
20. Neurosurgical Procedures for Treatment of Intractable Pain
21. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Approaches to Pain Management
23. Pyschological Interventions For Chronic Pain
24. Substance Use Disorders and Detoxification
V. PERIOPERATIVE PAIN MANAGEMENT
25. Pain Management in the Emergency Department
26. Preemptive Analgesia: Physiology and Clinical Studies
27. Patient-Controlled Analgesia
28. Intrathecal Opioid Injections for Postoperative Pain
29. Epidural Opioids for Postoperative Pain
30. Intraarticular and Intraperitoneal Opioids for Postoperative Pain
31. Pediatric Postoperative Pain
32. Pain Management During Pregnancy and Lactation
33. Pain Management in the Critically Ill Patient
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2011
- 25th July 2011
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN: