With clear coverage of the anatomy of oral and facial tissues, Essentials of Oral Histology and Embryology: A Clinical Approach, 4th Edition, helps you understand normal orofacial development to prepare you to care for patients with abnormalities or dental pathologies. It provides a strong foundation in oral biology, focusing on the development and structure of cells and tissues, the stages of tooth development and maturation, and the parts of teeth including enamel, dentin, dental pulp, and cementum. New illustrations and discussions of emerging issues keep you current with advances in the dental professions and patient care. Written by Daniel J. Chiego Jr., an experienced educator in oral histology and embryology, this book provides the basic science you need to succeed in the classroom and in clinical practice.
- Clinically focused content provides essential knowledge of the basics of oral biology with an emphasis on its relationship to clinical practice and a focus on the patient.
- Full-color art program includes many high-quality illustrations, histographs, micrographs, and clinical photos depicting various stages of development of the oral structures.
- Clinical Comment and Consider the Patient boxes help you apply information to clinical practice and patient care by describing clinical tips, points of interest, and patient situations.
- Self-evaluation questions are included at the end of each chapter, helping you review for classroom and national board exams.
- Key vocabulary is listed at the beginning of each chapter and highlighted in boldface within the text.
- Suggested readings at the end of each chapter allow you to research classic and new studies.
- Expert author Daniel Chiego has 40 years of experience in research and education in oral embryology and histology, and has directed the dental and dental hygiene courses of study in these topics at the University of Michigan for more than 15 years.
- An Evolve companion website provides practice quizzes, vocabulary flashcards, labeling exercises, and links to related websites for further research and study.
1. Development and Structure of Cells and Tissues
2. Structure and Function of Cells, Tissues, and Organs
3. Development of the Oral Facial Region
4. Development of the Face and Palate
5. Development of Teeth
6. Eruption and Shedding of Teeth
9. Dental Pulp
11. Periodontium: Periodontal Ligament
12. Periodontium: Alveolar Process and Cementum
13. Temporomandibular Joint
14. Oral Mucosa
15. Salivary Glands and Tonsils
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2014
- 19th February 2013
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
"This basic science text, now in an updated fourth edition, provides a clear and comprehensive guide to understanding a complex but essential part of the dental curriculum. As such, it is aimed mainly at an undergraduate dental population but can also be used as a postgraduate reference text...This text's real strength lies in the use of a wide variety of high-quality images, which include histology slides, micrographs, radiographs and clinical photos...A further selling point is the ability for users to access a wealth of online information including a question and image bank, presentations, web-links and interactive exercises free of charge."
The British Dental Journal, July 2013