Prepare for the changing healthcare field with current disease pathology information and ICD-10-CM codes for more than 500 commonly encountered conditions with Essentials of Human Diseases and Conditions, 5th Edition. Consistently organized and easy to read, this portable, practical reference provides the comprehensive disease information you need to successfully perform common clinical and administrative medical assisting responsibilities you'll encounter in the physician's office, including telephone screening, taking patient examinations, understanding diagnostic and treatment procedures, assembling patient education programs, and more.
- Enrichment boxes relate disease information to everyday practice.
- ICD-9-CM and ICD-10-CM codes included for each disease entry provide valuable practice looking up codes and illustrate differences between the two code sets.
- Current information on the most commonly encountered clinical disorders is presented in small segments for easier understanding.
- Full-color illustrations clarify difficult concepts.
- Consistent coverage for all diseases walks you through each step of patient care and treatment, including:
- Symptoms and Signs
- Patient Screening UNIQUE!
- Patient Teaching
- Pharmacology appendix details drug names, therapeutic objectives, side effects, and general comments for commonly prescribed drugs.
- Alerts highlight safety precautions for physician-based practice.
- Review Challenges reinforce content and reveal areas requiring additional study.
- Real-life Challenges test your ability to apply chapter content to real-world cases.
- Internet activities on the companion Evolve site broaden your understanding and direct you to additional information available online.
1. Mechanisms of Disease, Diagnosis, and Treatment
2. Developmental, Congenital, and Childhood Diseases and Disorders
3. Immunologic Diseases and Conditions
4. Diseases and Conditions of the Endocrine System
5. Diseases and Disorders of the Eye and Ear
6. Diseases and Conditions of the Integumentary System
7. Diseases and Conditions of the Musculoskeletal System
8. Diseases and Conditions of the Digestive System
9. Diseases and Conditions of the Respiratory System
10. Diseases and Conditions of the Circulatory System
11. Diseases and Conditions of the Urinary System
12. Diseases and Conditions of the Reproductive System
13. Neurological Diseases and Conditions
14. Mental Disorders
15. Disorders and Conditions Resulting from Trauma
Appendix I: Common Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests
Appendix II: Pharmacology
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2013
- 31st January 2012
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Formerly-Department Chair, Health and Human Services Division, Program Chair, Medical Assisting Program, Ivy Tech State College, Fort Wayne, IN
Formerly-Associate Faculty, Ivy Tech State College, Northeast, Fort Wayne, IN