- Essential Surgery incorporates a problem-solving approach wherever possible, emphasising how diagnoses are made and why particular treatments are used.
- The pathophysiological basis of surgical diseases is discussed in relation to their management, acting as a bridge between basic medical sciences and clinical problems.
- The uniformity of the writing style and the clarity of elucidation will encourage continued reading, while the emphasis on the principles of surgery will enable a real understanding of the subject matter.
- The book’s extensive use of original illustrations, boxes and tables emphasises important concepts and will aid revision.
- The principles of operative surgery and perioperative care are explained together with outlines of common operations, enabling students and trainee surgeons to properly understand procedures and to participate intelligently in the operating department.
PRINCIPLES OF SURGICAL CARE
Mechanisms of surgical disease and surgery in practice
Managing physiological change in the surgical patient
Immunology, inflammation and infection
Shock and resuscitation
Imaging and interventional techniques in surgery
Screening for adult disease
Diagnosis and management of common postoperative problems
Principles of operative surgery
Complications of surgery
Principles of cancer management
Principles of transplantation surgery
PRINCIPLES OF ACCIDENT SURGERY
Head and maxillofacial injuries
Soft tissue injuries and burns
SYMPTOMS, DIAGNOSIS AND MANAGEMENT
Non-acute abdominal pain and other abdominal symptoms and signs
The acute abdomen and acute gastrointestinal haemorrhage
Gallstone diseases and related disorders
Peptic ulceration and related disorders
Disorders of the oesophagus
Tumours of the stomach and small intestine
Tumours of the pancreas and hepatobiliary system
Colorectal polyps and carcinoma
Chronic inflammatory disorders of the bowel
Disorders of large bowel motility, structure and perfusion.
Anal and perianal disorders
Hernias and other groin problems
Disorders of the male genitalia
Symptoms and signs and investigation of urinary tract disorders
Disorders of the prostate
Tumours of the kidney and urinary tract
Stone disease of the urinary tract
Urinary tract infections
Congenital disorders and diseases secondarily involving