- Exercise and Sports Science Students
- Exercise and Fitness Professionals
- First Australian text written with Exercise & Sports Science Australia’s (ESSA) accreditation framework in mind.
ESSA’s Student Manual for Health, Exercise and Sport Assessment is an essential text for any student undertaking an exercise and sports science degree and professionals working in the exercise and fitness industries.
This practical manual contains fundamental theory and detailed step-by-step protocols designed to assist students and practitioners to develop competency for conducting tests in exercise, health and sports science.
Written by leading Australian and New Zealand Academics and published in collaboration with Exercise & Sports Science Australia (ESSA), ESSA’s Student Manual for Health, Exercise and Sport Assessment is the first Australian text written with ESSA’s accreditation framework in mind.
- Multiple choice questions and short answer questions
- Criteria sheets to assess skill competency
- Worked examples and case studies
- Data recording sheets
- Image collection
- Excel spreadsheet to record and analyse data from activities within the manual
"Best for any student or graduate of an exercise and sport science degree or for professionals working in the exercise and fitness industries".
Reviewed by: Ufuk Sekir, Medical School of Uludag University on behalf of the Journal of Sports Science & Medicine Date: July 2015
• Combines the theory underpinning testing procedures and comprehensive step-by-step protocols.
• Includes practical data recording tables.
• Protocols that encompass the spectrum of tests in exercise, health and sports science including, but not limited to, anthropometry, muscular strength, submaximal and maximal exercise testing, range of motion and threshold tests.
• Includes pre-testing procedures and equipment requirements for conducting assessments.
• Emphasis on the accuracy of the measurement, including calibration and verification of equipment.
• Section on laboratory safety, cleaning and disinfecting.
• Links analysis, interpretation and communication of test results.
• Data analysis practical that encourages the reader to analyse their own data collected in the activities.
1 Equipment calibration and verification
2 Blood analysis
3 Cardiovascular health
5 Physical activity
6 Pre-exercise health screening
7 Neuromuscular strength, power and strength endurance
10 Submaximal tests for cardiorespiratory fitness
11 Lactate threshold
12 High intensity exercise
14 Functional measures
15 Exercise capacity
16 Pulmonary function
17 Resting and exercise electrocardiography (ECG)
18 Data analysis
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby Australia 2014
- 11th July 2014
- Mosby Australia
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Professor of Exercise Science, School of Human Movement Studies The University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Lecturer in Clinical Exercise Physiology, School of Human Movement Studies The University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.