The most comprehensive reference available on equine surgery, this book prepares the veterinary surgeon for managing each surgical condition by understanding its pathophysiology and evaluating alternative surgical approaches. Explanations describe how to avoid surgical infections, select and use instruments, and perfect fundamental surgical techniques including incisions, cautery, retractions, irrigation, surgical suction, wound closure, dressings, bandages, and casts.
- World-renowned contributors include over 70 of the most expert equine specialist surgeons, each providing current and accurate information.
- Complete coverage of all information needed to study for the American and European College of Veterinary Surgeons Board Examinations makes this edition an excellent study tool.
- Section on anesthesiology and pain management prepares you to manage these critical aspects of any surgery.
- Extensive, up-to-date orthopedic coverage includes joint disorders and joint trauma.
- Section on integumentary system contains information on wound management, reconstructive surgery, and skin grafting.
- Section on the alimentary system covers postoperative care, complications and reoperation guidelines.
- New techniques in vascular surgery keep you current on best practices.
- The most comprehensive text on equine surgery focuses on diagnosis and treatment to provide equine practitioners with the information they need to effectively manage and surgically treat equine disorders.
- Broad collection of high-quality images that were taken by the contributors during surgical procedures to provide the best instructions for other surgeons.
Section I: Surgical Biology
1. Shock: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Physiologic Response to Trauma
2. Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome
3. Fluids, Electrolytes, and Acid-Base Therapy
4. Hemostasis, Surgical Bleeding, and Transfusion
5. Wound Repair
6. Metabolism of the Surgical Patient and Nutritional Support
7. Surgical Site Infection and the Use of Antimicrobials
8. Regenerative Medicine
Section II: Surgical Methods
9. Sterilization and Antiseptics
10. Preparation of the Surgical Patient, the Surgery Facility and the Operating Team
11. Surgical Instruments
12. Surgical Techniques
13. Minimally Invasive Surgical Techniques
15. Lasers in Veterinary Surgery
16. Suture Materials and Patterns, Tissue Adhesives, Staples, and Ligating Clips
17. Drains, Dressings, and External Coaptation
Section III: Recent Advances in Anesthesia
18. Balanced Inhalation Anesthesia
19. Modern Injection Anesthesia for Horses
20. Anesthesia and Analgesia for Foals
21. Recovery from Anesthesia
22. Chemical Restraint for Long Standing Surgery
23. Pain Management
Section IV: Integumentary System
24. Principles of Reconstructive and Plastic Surgery
25. Skin Grafting
26. Management of Superficial Wounds
27. Management of Deep and Chronic Wounds
28. Management of Sinus Tracts and Fistulas
29. Skin Conditions Amenable to Surgery
Section V: Alimentary System
30. Oral Cavity / Salivary Glands
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2012
- 24th October 2011
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN: