Ideal for both practitioners and students, Equine Infectious Diseases, 2nd Edition covers the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of infectious disease in horses. Organized by infectious agent — viral, bacterial and rickettsial, protozoal, and fungal — it includes complete coverage of the individual diseases caused by each type of agent. A section on clinical problems offers effective treatment for conditions such as ocular infections, CNS infections, and skin infections. Preventing and controlling infectious disease outbreaks is addressed with information on epidemiology, biosecurity, antimicrobial therapy, and recognizing foreign equine diseases.
- Public health considerations presented in nearly every chapter discuss zoonotic disease potential and precautions, as well as other public health concerns.
- Appendix of infectious disease rule-outs for medical problems shows which symptoms may indicate specific infectious diseases with cross-references to the chapters in which they are discussed.
- Antimicrobial drug formulary appendix provides information on adjusting dosages on the basis of clinical and toxicologic data.
- Appendix for vaccination guidelines for horses in North America helps horse traders understand the necessary steps to avoid hefty fines and even license suspensions for non-compliance.
- The most up-to-date immunization recommendations for horses in North America, organized by foals/weanlings, yearlings, performance horses, pleasure horses, and broodmares.
- Easy access to references on PubMed links you to the original abstracts, with content updates to keep you aware of new infectious diseases and their impact on people and animals, as well as stunning downloadable images.
- Full-color photos and illustrations provide clear, accurate representations of clinical appearances of infectious diseases.
Section I: Clinical Problems
1. Respiratory Tract Infections
2. Cardiovascular Infections
3. Gastrointestinal and Peritoneal Infections
4. Central Nervous System Infections
5. Infections of Muscle, Joint and Bone
6. Neonatal Septicemia
7. Infections of Skin
8. Reproductive Tract Infections and Abortion
9. Urinary Tract Infections
10. Ocular Infections
11. Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome
Section II: Viral Diseases
12. Laboratory Diagnosis of Viral Infections
13. Equine Influenza
14. Equine Herpesviruses
15. Equine Viral Arteritis
16. African Horse Sickness
17. Miscellaneous Viral Respiratory Diseases
18. Viral Diarrhea
20. Alphavirus Encephalitides
21. Flavivirus Encephalitides
22. Borna Disease
23. Equine Infectious Anemia
24. Vesicular Stomatitis
25. Papillomavirus Infections
26. Miscellaneous Viral Diseases
Section III: Bacterial and Rickettsial Diseases
27. Laboratory Diagnosis of Bacterial Infections
28. Streptococcal infections
29. Staphylococcal Infections
31. Rhodococcus Equi Infection
33. Lyme Borreliosis
34. Lawsonia Intracellularis
36. Glanders and Farcy
38. Contagious Equine Metritis
39. Anaplasma Phagocytophila Infection
40. Neorickettsia Risticii Infection
41. Enteric Clostridial Infections
42. Systemic Clostridial Infections
45. Miscellaneous Bacterial Infections
Section IV: Fungal Diseases
- No. of pages:
- © Saunders 2014
- 28th October 2013
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Hardcover ISBN:
Professor, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Washington State University, Pullman, WA
College of Vet Medicine; University of Florida