- Access the fully searchable contents of the text and a downloadable image library all at expertconsult.com, and 60 EEG videos of actual patient monitoring sessions in longitudinal bipolar, transverse, and referential montages on an accompanying DVD.
- Reference the experiences of your patients to those of patients recorded during video-EEG monitoring sessions and access links to the relevant imaging used.
- Reformat montages and filters as if you were reviewing patient data in an epilepsy monitoring unit with the EEG review software on the DVD.
- Avoid misdiagnoses by differentiating between epilepsy and non-epileptic seizures.
- Examine patient cases across all age groups so you can treat the widest range of patients: adult, pediatric and neonatal.
- Determine and evaluate when surgery is appropriate and when it is not.
Get quick and easy reference to diagnosis and management with organization by epilepsy syndrome.
Section I: Introduction 1
1 Epilepsy Seizures and Syndromes: Clinical Cases and Video-EEGs • Mary Ann Werz 3
2 How To Use This Book • Mary Ann Werz 5
Section II: Generalized Idiopathic Seizures 11
3 Childhood Absence Epilepsy • Rabon Allen 13
4 Juvenile Absence Epilepsy • Jeffrey L. Sponsler 17
5 Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy • Mary Ann Werz 21
Section III: Generalized Symptomatic Epilepsy 25
6 Infantile Spasms/West Syndrome • Arie Weinstock and Michelle Hartley McAndrew 27
7 Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome • Jennifer R. Avery 33
8 Myoclonic Astatic Epilepsy • Chaiyos Khongkhatithum 43
Section IV: Undetermined Epilepsy Syndromes 47
9 Neonatal Seizures • Mark Scher 49
10 Landau-Kleffner Syndrome (Acquired Epileptic Aphasia) and Continuous Spike and Waves during Slow Wave Sleep Syndrome • Ignacio L. Pita 59
Section V: Idiopathic Localization-Related Epilepsies 65
11 Benign Focal Epilepsy of Childhood with Centrotemporal Spikes • Tobias Loddenkemper 67
Section VI: Localization-Related Epilepsies 71
12 Temporal Lobe Epilepsy • Mary Ann Werz 73
13 Frontal Lobe Epilepsy • Ignacio L. Pita 91
14 Parietal Lobe Epilepsy • Ignacio L. Pita 103
15 Occipital Lobe Epilepsy • Mary Ann Werz 109
16 Gelastic Seizures • Shahram Amina 117
Section VII: Presurgical Evaluation, Surgical Procedures, and Pathology 121
17 Evaluation for Epilepsy Surgery by the Epilepsy Team • Pamela A. Lang 123
18 MRI and Epilepsy • Barbara A. Bangert 127
19 Nuclear Imaging and Epilepsy • Peter F.