Drs. Mary Ann Werz and Ignacio L. Pita present Epilepsy Syndromes, a unique book with companion DVD that guides you through the difficult diagnostic challenges associated with this disorder. It is organized by epilepsy syndromes for easy reference, and the DVD shows patient videos running concurrently with their EEG tracings. It’s the perfect tool for evaluating patients with seizures.
- Access the fully searchable contents of the text and a downloadable image library all at expertconsult.com, and 60 EEG videos of actual patient monitoring sessions in longitudinal bipolar, transverse, and referential montages on an accompanying DVD.
- Reference the experiences of your patients to those of patients recorded during video-EEG monitoring sessions and access links to the relevant imaging used.
- Reformat montages and filters as if you were reviewing patient data in an epilepsy monitoring unit with the EEG review software on the DVD.
- Avoid misdiagnoses by differentiating between epilepsy and non-epileptic seizures.
- Examine patient cases across all age groups so you can treat the widest range of patients: adult, pediatric and neonatal.
- Determine and evaluate when surgery is appropriate and when it is not.
Get quick and easy reference to diagnosis and management with organization by epilepsy syndrome.
Section I: Introduction 1
1 Epilepsy Seizures and Syndromes: Clinical Cases and Video-EEGs • Mary Ann Werz 3
2 How To Use This Book • Mary Ann Werz 5
Section II: Generalized Idiopathic Seizures 11
3 Childhood Absence Epilepsy • Rabon Allen 13
4 Juvenile Absence Epilepsy • Jeffrey L. Sponsler 17
5 Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy • Mary Ann Werz 21
Section III: Generalized Symptomatic Epilepsy 25
6 Infantile Spasms/West Syndrome • Arie Weinstock and Michelle Hartley McAndrew 27
7 Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome • Jennifer R. Avery 33
8 Myoclonic Astatic Epilepsy • Chaiyos Khongkhatithum 43
Section IV: Undetermined Epilepsy Syndromes 47
9 Neonatal Seizures • Mark Scher 49
10 Landau-Kleffner Syndrome (Acquired Epileptic Aphasia) and Continuous Spike and Waves during Slow Wave Sleep Syndrome • Ignacio L. Pita 59
Section V: Idiopathic Localization-Related Epilepsies 65
11 Benign Focal Epilepsy of Childhood with Centrotemporal Spikes • Tobias Loddenkemper 67
Section VI: Localization-Related Epilepsies 71
12 Temporal Lobe Epilepsy • Mary Ann Werz 73
13 Frontal Lobe Epilepsy • Ignacio L. Pita 91
14 Parietal Lobe Epilepsy • Ignacio L. Pita 103
15 Occipital Lobe Epilepsy • Mary Ann Werz 109
16 Gelastic Seizures • Shahram Amina 117
Section VII: Presurgical Evaluation, Surgical Procedures, and Pathology 121
17 Evaluation for Epilepsy Surgery by the Epilepsy Team • Pamela A. Lang 123
18 MRI and Epilepsy • Barbara A. Bangert 127
19 Nuclear Imaging and Epilepsy • Peter F.
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Professor, Department of Neurology, University of Iowa; Co-Director Iowa Comprehensive Epilepsy Program, Department of Neurology, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA
Assistant Professor, Department of Neurology, University of Puerto Rico Medical Sciences Campus, San Juan, Puerto Rico; Director, Comprehensive Epilepsy Program, Department of Neurology, HIMA, San Pablo Caguas, Caguas, Puerto Rico