Environmental Implications of Expanded Coal Utilization focuses on the increasing consideration of coal as an alternative source of energy. This book comes as an answer to the issues on health and environment regarding the extraction, production, and use of coal.
Composed of nine chapters, the selection starts by underlining the potential prospects for coal, which plays a vital role in meeting energy demands. The book also shows that problems have evolved regarding the use of coal, including land disturbance and increased land occupation due to mining. The text also notes that the international trade of coal will surely generate waste products, and some of which can be the result of poor transportation and handling. The book focuses on coal gasification and liquefaction and emphasizes that the processes involved must be carefully understood in order to avoid the environmental impacts of coal use. Attempts have been made to establish a conceptual framework to be used in assessing the health and environmental health impacts of the conversion and utilization of coal. Relative to this, discussions that follow include the trace elements that are the products of coal combustion and conversion and also coal derived carbon compounds. Another sector is focused on the evaluation of the effects of emissions on human health, especially of workers in the industry. The effects of the utilization of coal on communities are also considered.
The text is a vital source of information to those involved in the research on the use of coal as alternative source of energy.
Abbreviations and Acronyms Units, Conversions and Equivalents
- Coal in the Future World Energy Scene Introduction The Energy Crisis and New Economic and Demographic Prospects Coal in the Future World Energy Scene Development Prospects for the Coal Market Economic and Strategic Aspects of Coal Development Coal Prospects References
- Land Disturbance and Reclamation after Mining Introduction Classification of Mining Land Disturbance Land Reclamation The Economics of Reclamation References
- Environmental Impacts of Coal Transportation Introduction Environmental Impacts Common to All Modes of Transport Rail Transport Coal Transport by Truck Coal Transport by Water Slurry Pipelines Coal Transport Impacts in Perspective References
- Coal Conversion Processes: Gasification and Liquefaction Introduction Gasification Liquefaction Control Aspects References
- Application of the Exposure Commitment Model to Coal Utilization Emission Problems The Exposure Commitment Concept Application of the Exposure Commitment Model Comparative Assessments and the Exposure Commitment Method References
- The Environmental Significance of Trace Elements from Coal Combustion and Conversion Processes Occurrence and Distribution of Trace Elements in Coal Mobilization of Trace Elements by Coal Utilization Environmental Effects of Coal Utilization Conclusions References
- The Environmental Significance of Coal-Derived Carbon Compounds Introduction Human Health Effects of Coal-Derived Carbon Compounds Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in the Food Chain Natural Origins of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons and Coal Conversion Processes Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon Body Burdens in Man References
- No. of pages:
- © Pergamon 1982
- 1st January 1982
- eBook ISBN: