This book explores the provision and practice of professional support and refers to the processes of enabling relationships between participants: professionals and clients. It also invokes the power of relationships to empower and construct change.
- Coverage of the issues surrounding the use of counseling skills provides the reader with knowledge of the processes and principles of professional support.
- Reflective practitioner approach provides ideas for individual and group activities to help relate knowledge to real-life practice.
- Wide range of personal and formal perspectives includes various diverse points of view, including that of the client.
Stumbling On: An Introduction
PART ONE: IN CONTEXT
1. What’s the Story?
2. The Professional Context
3. Reflecting on Ethical Decision-Making in Therapy Practice
PART TWO: IN THEORY AND PRINCIPLE
4. Understanding Inequality and Performance
5. Understanding Empowerment and Emancipation
6. From Theory to Principles
PART THREE: IN PRACTICE
7. Enabling Relationships in Therapy Practice
8. Two-Way Communication
9. Enabling Relationships in Professional Contexts
10. Challenging Walls of Discrimination
PART FOUR: IN PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION
11. Enabling Relationships in Professional Education
12. Enabling Relationships: The Ingredients for Practice
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2004
- 30th March 2004
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Principal Lecturer (Research) and Reader in Disability Studies, Faculty of Health, Social Work and Education, University of Northumbria, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK Professor of Disability and Inclusion, Research and Enterprise Health, Community & Education Studies Northumbria University, UK
Head of Arts Education, University of Northumbria, Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Senior Lecturer, School of Management and Social Sciences, King Alfred's College of Higher Education, Winchester, UK
Inter Agency Development Officer, Sunderland City Council, Tyne and War, UK
Lecturer in Psychology and Rehabilitation Counselling, Department of Health Studies, Brunel University, Isleworth, UK