Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
The increasing pace of advances in cardiology throughout the last few decades has fundamentally altered the natural course of heart patients. In the last few years, available therapies have been revolutionized completely by new transcatheter therapeutic approaches, novel ventricular assist devices, and new drugs. Also, molecular biology and genetics have a rapidly growing impact on cardiovascular diseases, enabling the field of regenerative medicine to become increasingly closer to routine clinical implementation.
Emerging Technologies for Heart Diseases was conceived to cover the recent extensive literature on current and novel therapeutic options for cardiac patients. The first volume is dedicated to heart failure and valvular disorders, and the second covers myocardial ischemia and arrhythmias. The clinical topic is addressed in several chapters divided according to the therapeutic approach (mechanical or electrical device-based, or cell and gene-based). Each of the 46 chapters focuses on clinically available solutions, new therapies currently under evaluation in clinical trials, promising preclinical technologies, and emerging concepts and innovations that have not yet been tested in a preclinical model. Also, the book discusses future challenges and opportunities for clinical implementation. Lessons learned from abandoned experimental practices are also covered, giving the readers the widest possible perspective of current therapeutic dilemmas.
Overall, this textbook was designed for physicians who want to stay up-to-date with current therapies and those of the future, for biomedical companies, and for those who wish to broaden their knowledge of new cardiovascular therapeutic options.
- Provides a comprehensive review of the latest therapeutic developments for heart failure, valvular disorders, myocardial ischemia and arrhythmias, and their clinical implications
- Written by both specialists in the field and established researchers, it delivers a review of emerging medical technologies and presents insight into their therapeutic promise
- Chapters are arranged according to disease pathogeneses and relevance and include coverage of the mechanical, electrophysiological, and biological approaches for the management of patients with heart failure should be replaced with heart failure and valvular disorders
Biomedical companies and basic scientists who develop biological and device-based approaches for the treatment of heart conditions. Medical professionals who wish to enhance their knowledge of current and emerging medical technologies developed for the treatment of cardiovascular diseases including cardiologists, cardio-thoracic surgeons, internal-medicine specialists. Medical students who are interested in medical advancements will find this book of great interest.
SECTION 1: Treatment of heart failure – device-based therapies and monitoring modalities
1. Keeping a Finger on the Pulse - A brief history of cardiovascular medicine
2. Artificial mechanical hearts and ventricular assist devices
3. Percutaneous left and right ventricular support devices
4. Cardiac resynchronization therapy
5. Left atrial decompression devices
6. Device-based treatment for diastolic heart failure
7. Ultrafiltration and other treatments of volume overload in congestive heart failure
8. Cardiac physical remodeling and percutaneous solutions for the treatment of advanced Heart Failure
SECTION 2: Treatment of systolic heart failure - cell and gene-based therapies, tissue engineering and biopolymers
9. Cardiac xenotransplantation
10. Marrow-derived stromal cells for cardiac regeneration
11. Heart-derived cells for therapeutic application
12. Human Pluripotent Stem Cells for Cardiac Regeneration
13. Heart Regeneration Using Somatic Cells
14. In-vitro engineered heart tissue grafts
15. Decellularization of whole hearts for cardiac regeneration
16. Gene and protein-based therapies for improving cardiac performance and regeneration
17. Biopolymers in the treatment of heart failure and cardiac remodeling
SECTION 3: Treatment of systolic heart failure - novel pharmacological treatments
18. Novel pharmacotherapies for the treatment of heart failure
SECTION 4: Treatment of valvular disorders
19. Heart Valve Tissue Engineering: Current Preclinical and Clinical approaches
20. Transcatheter aortic valve replacement
21. Transcatheter mitral valve repairs for degenerative and Functional mitral regurgitation
22. Transcatheter mitral valve implantation
23. Transcatheter treatments for tricuspid valve diseases
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2020
- 19th August 2020
- Academic Press
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Udi Nussinovitch, MD, PhD graduated from the Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, training at the Sheba Medical Center, Rambam Healthcare Center and Meir Medical Center, while concurrently graduating with a PhD in cardiac electrophysiology from the Technion Institute of Technology, Israel. Dr Nussinovitch has dedicated his research to investigating novel therapeutic approaches for cardiac disorders and the modulation of the cardiac electrophysiologic substrate for therapeutic purposes. He serves as director of the Applicative Cardiovascular Research Center (ACRC), affiliated to Tel Aviv University. Dr Nussinovitch founded several biotech companies, and has been the recipient of several research awards. He carries out his clinical work at the Meir Medical Center, a medical facility and leading referral center in Israel.
Applicative Cardiovascular Research Center (ACRC) and Department of Cardiology, Meir Medical Center, affiliated to Tel Aviv University, Israel
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.