Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Effective Security Management, Seventh Edition teaches practicing security professionals how to build their careers by mastering the fundamentals of good management. Charles Sennewald and Curtis Baillie bring common sense, wisdom and humor to this bestselling introduction to security management. For both new and experienced security managers, this resource is the classic book on the topic.
- Provides a new chapter on problem-solving, a critical skillset for effective security management
- Includes expanded coverage of international topics, cases and examples
- Features contributions from leading security experts
Security Management students (certificate, upper level undergraduate, and graduate); Security Directors and Managers
Section 1: General Security Management
1. General Principles of Organization
2. Organizational Structure
3. Security's Role in the Organization
4. The Security Director's Role
5. The Security Supervisor's Role
6. The Individual Security Employee
7. Ethics and Conflicts of Interest
Section 2: Security Personnel Management
8. Hiring Security Personnel
9. Job Descriptions
12. Motivation and Morale
15. Career (Proprietary) versus Non-Career (and Contract) Personnel
Section 3: Operational Management
16. Planning and Budgeting
17. Program Management
19. Problem Solving
20. Crisis Management
21. The Security Survey
22. International Security Standards
23. Office Administration
24. Written Policies and Procedures
25. Computers and Effective Security Management
26. Statistics as a Security Management Tool
27. Convergence in Security Management
Section 4: Public Relations
28. Selling Security Within the Organization
29. Relationship with Law Enforcement
30. Relationship with the Industry
31. Community Relations
Section 5: Mismanagement
32. Jackass Management Traits
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2021
- 8th January 2020
- Paperback ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Charles “Chuck” Sennewald, CSC, CPP, is an independent security management consultant and expert witness and the author of numerous Butterworth-Heinemann titles, including "Effective Security Management"; "Security Consulting"; "Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference;" "From the Files of a Security Expert Witness"; and earlier editions of this book "The Process of Investigation." Chuck is a graduate of California State University - Los Angeles with a BS degree in Police Science and Administration. Chuck is also the founder and first president of the International Association of Professional Security Consultants (IAPSC), and is a long-time member of ASIS International. He has lectured and is read in countries around the globe.
Independent security management consultant, expert witness, and author, internationally based
Curtis Baillie CSC, is an independent security management consultant and a retail security expert witness who contributed to the Butterworth-Heinemann titles, “Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference” and “Security Consulting”. His career includes NASA Security, owner/operator of a large security company, and senior security management positions with grocery and retail “big box” operations. Curtis is a member of the International Association of Professional Security Consultants (IAPSC).
President, Security Consulting Strategies, Sandusky, Ohio, USA
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.