- Print ISBN 9780444503909
- Electronic ISBN 9780080530703
• A synthesis of what is known about the basic biological characteristics of the sea urchin, useful for the direction of future research.
• Case histories of 17 species that illustrate their ecological role in a variety of environments.
• With the catastrophic decline in fisheries resulting primarily from over-fishing, it is essential that the populations be managed effectively and that aquaculture be developed. This book provides knowledge of the biology and ecology of the commercially important sea urchins that will contribute to these goals.
• The only book available in present literature devoted to sea urchins.
With this new title experts provide a broad synthetic treatment and in depth analysis of the biology and ecology of sea urchins from around the world, designed to provide an understanding of the group and the basis for fisheries management and aquaculture.