Ebersole & Hess’ Gerontological Nursing and Healthy Aging is the only gerontological nursing text that follows a wellness-based, holistic approach to older adult care. Designed to facilitate healthy aging regardless of the situation or disease process, this text goes beyond simply tracking recommended treatments to address complications, alleviate discomfort, and help older adults lead healthy lives. Featuring evidence-based practice boxes, safety alerts, expanded tables, and careful attention to age, gender, and cultural differences, Ebersole & Hess’ Gerontological Nursing and Healthy Aging is the most complete text on the market.
- Focus on health and wellness helps you gain an understanding of the patient’s experience.
- AACN and the Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing core competencies integrated throughout.
- Consistent chapter organization and pedagogy, including Learning Objectives, Glossary, and Research and Study Questions/Activities.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes summarize research findings that confirm effective practices or identify practices with unknown, ineffective, or harmful effects.
- Careful attention to age, cultural, and gender differences helps you understand these important considerations in caring for older adults
- Expanded tables, boxes, and forms, including the latest scales and guidelines for proper health assessment make information easy to find and use.
- Activities and discussion questions at the end of every chapter equip you with the information you need to assess the patient.
Part 1: Foundations of Healthy Aging
- Introduction to healthy aging
- Gerontological nursing history, education, and roles
- Care across the continuum
- Culture and aging
- Theories of aging and physical changes
- Social, psychological, spiritual, and cognitive aspects of aging
- Assessment and documentation for optimal care
- Safe medication use
- Nutrition and Hydration
- Rest, sleep, and activity
- Promoting healthy skin and feet
- Promoting safety
- Living with chronic illness
- Pain and comfort
- Diseases affecting vision and hearing
- Metabolic disorders
- Bone and joint problems
- Cardiac and respiratory disorders
- Neurological disorders
- Cognitive impairment
- Mental health
- Economic and legal issues
- Relationships, roles, and transitions
- Loss, death, and palliative care
Part 2: Fundamentals of caring
Part 3: Coping with chronic disorders in late life
Part 4: Caring for elders and their caregivers
- No. of pages:
- © Mosby 2014
- 11th March 2013
- eBook ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Dr. Theris A. Touhy, DNP, CNS, DPNAP
Emeritus Professor Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing Florida Atlantic University Boca Raton, Florida
Dr. Kathleen F. Jett, PhD, GNP-BC
Gerontological Nurse Practitioner, Oak Hammock at the University of Florida, Department of Aging and Geriatrics, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida; Research Consultant, College of Nursing, University of Florida, Gainesville Florida