DW 2.0: The Architecture for the Next Generation of Data Warehousing is the first book on the new generation of data warehouse architecture, DW 2.0, by the father of the data warehouse. The book describes the future of data warehousing that is technologically possible today, at both an architectural level and technology level.
The perspective of the book is from the top down: looking at the overall architecture and then delving into the issues underlying the components. This allows people who are building or using a data warehouse to see what lies ahead and determine what new technology to buy, how to plan extensions to the data warehouse, what can be salvaged from the current system, and how to justify the expense at the most practical level. This book gives experienced data warehouse professionals everything they need in order to implement the new generation DW 2.0.
It is designed for professionals in the IT organization, including data architects, DBAs, systems design and development professionals, as well as data warehouse and knowledge management professionals.
- First book on the new generation of data warehouse architecture, DW 2.0.
- Written by the "father of the data warehouse", Bill Inmon, a columnist and newsletter editor of The Bill Inmon Channel on the Business Intelligence Network.
- Long overdue comprehensive coverage of the implementation of technology and tools that enable the new generation of the DW: metadata, temporal data, ETL, unstructured data, and data quality control.
Professionals in the IT organization, including data architects, DBAs, systems design and development professionals, as well as data warehouse and knowledge management professionals.
- A brief history of data warehousing; 1st generation of data warehouses
- DW 2.0 – an overview; the components
- DW 2.0 components
- the interactive sector
- the integrated sector
- the near line sector
- the archival sector
- The metadata infrastructure; enterprise metadata; business metadata; technical metadata
- Creating the fluid technological infrastructure for DW 2.0
- the underlying technology approach
- the separation of static and temporal data
- the waterfall approach for operational – like components
- the iterative approach for the DSS environment
- Statistical and exploration processing
- the exploration warehouse
- sources of data for the exploration warehouse
- heuristic processing
- Data modeling for the DW 2.0 environment
- Monitoring the DW 2.0 environment
- Security in the DW 2.0 environment
- Time variant data – data structure representation
- Connectivity – how the different parts of the DW 2.0 environment connect
- ETL – the role of ETL and the existence of seemingly redundant data
- The granularity manager
- Performance across the architecture
- Migration from 1st generation data warehouses to DW 2.0
- Cost justification of DSS processing in DW 2.0
- Data quality in DW 2.0
- Conditioning unstructured data for entry into the DW 2.0 environment
- DW 2.0 and the System of Record
- Miscellaneous Topics
- Processing in the DW 2.0 Environment
- Administering the DW 2.0 Environment
- No. of pages:
- © Morgan Kaufmann 2008
- 25th June 2008
- Morgan Kaufmann
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Inmon Data Systems, Castle Rock, CO, USA
CEO and Founder, Gavroshe