Centered around three design case studies, DSP Integrated Circuits thoroughly details a high-performance FFT processor, a 2-D Discrete Cosine Transform for HDTV, and a wave digital filter for interpolation of the sampling frequency. The case studies cover the essential parts of the design process in a top-down manner, from specification of algorithm design and optimization, scheduling of operations, synthesis of optimal architectures, realization of processing elements, to the floor-planning of the integrated circuit.
- Details the theory and design of digital filters - particularly wave digital filters, multi-rate digital filters, fast Fourier transforms (FFT's), and discrete cosine transforms (DCT's)
- Follows three complete "real-world" case studies throughout the book
- Provides complete coverage of finite word length effects in DSP algorithms
- In-depth survey of the computational properties of DSP algorithms and their mapping to optimal architectures
- Outlines DSP architectures and parallel, bit-serial, and distributed arithmetic
- Presents the design process in a top-down manner and incorporates numerous problems and solutions