Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Drugs and the Future presents 13 reviews collected to present the new advances in all areas of addiction research, including knowledge gained from mapping the human genome, the improved understanding of brain pathways and functions that are stimulated by addictive drugs, experimental and clinical psychology approaches to addiction and treatment, as well as both ethical considerations and social policy. The book also includes chapters on the history of addictive substances and some personal narratives of addiction. Introduced by Sir David King, Science Advisory to the UK Government and head of the Office of Science and Technology, and Nora Volkow, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse in the USA, the book uniquely covers the full range of disciplines which can provide insight into the future of addiction, from genetics to the humanities. Written for a scientific audience, it is also applicable to non-specialists as well.
- Provides an unique overview of what we know about addiction, and how scientific knowledge can and should be applied in the societal, ethical, and political context
- Applies the state-of-the-art research in fields such as Genomics, Neuroscience, Pharmacology, Social Policy and Ethics to addiction research
- Includes a preface by Sir David King, Science Advisory to the UK Government and head of the Office of Science and Technology, and in introduction by Nora Volkow, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse in the USA
Academics in biology, medicine and health, the social sciences, as well as practitioners in drug addiction and treatment.
. Drug Futures.
- Neuroscience and Drugs of Addiction.
- Experimental Psychology and Research into Brain Science, Addiction and Drugs.
- Pharmacology and Treatments.
- Psychological Treatments of Substance Misuse and Dependence.
- Cognition Enhancers.
- Drug Testing.
- Social Policy and Psychoactive Substances.
- Sociology and Substance Abuse.
- Economics of Addiction and Drugs.
- Problem Gambling and Other Behavioural Addictions.
- Ethical Aspects of Developments in Neuroscience and Drug Addiction.
- History and the Future of Pscychoactive Substances.
- Life Histories and Narratives of Addiction.
- Perspective of the Pharmaceutical Industry.
- Scenarios - Foresight Brain Science, Addiction and Drugs Project.
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2007
- 29th September 2006
- Academic Press
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
Psychopharmacology Unit, University of Bristol, UK Professor of Psychopharmacology
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Cambridge, UK
International Harm Reduction Association, Melbourne, Australia
Foresight Directorate, Offie of Science and Technology, Department of Trade and Industry, London, UK