- Co-written by Graham Lees and Tamas Bartfai who has been involved in the development of drugs taken by more that 20 million people every day
- Opens the windows and doors of the most regulated industry in the world, the pharmaceutical industry
- Tells the story of drug development by using real examples based on current research and events
- Provides an objective, lucid account of the successes and failures, shortcomings and constraints of the pharmaceutical and biotech industries
- Gives insights into the development of new drugs to combat multiple conditions including cancer and pain
- Balanced, unbiased account of how better to translate basic science into drug discovery
Table of Contents
- Proposed Contents:
1. The Art of Putting a Molecule Into Man
2. Raising & Rising Expectations
3. History is good to know
4. The "Better Betablocker Barrier"
5. Why Some Good Drugs Do Not Get a Chance & Why
6. About the Economics of Target and Clinical Candidate Selection
7. Target Based Drug Discovery: Part I
8. Changes Need to be Made
9. Target Based Drug Discovery, Part II
10. "Drugable" Targets
11. So Many Drugs, So Few Entities
12. How to Find a Candidate
13. Practicalities: The Hoops & Hurdles of Big Pharma
14. Practical Trials for a Balanced Portfolio
15. How to Improve the Odds of Finding a Safe Drug that Works
16. The Tribulations of Clinical Trials
17. Linking Putative Targets to Disease States
18. More Ways to Look for Targets
19. The Business Basics
20. Adding Value in a Growth of Industry
21. What's the Most Profitable Approach?
22. Pharmacoeconomics for Biotech
23. Shrinking Value of Targets
24. Assessing Company Assets? Look in the Library
25. To Merge or Not to Merge?
26. Working with the Food & Drug Administration (FDA)
27. Regulating Regulatory Regimens Reliably
28. The Hypothesis Is: There is a Better Way
29. What are "We" all Working on?
30. More Tablets Taken per Day than Meals Served
- No. of pages: 328
- Language: English
- Copyright: © Academic Press 2005
- Published: December 15, 2005
- Imprint: Academic Press
- Paperback ISBN: 9780123695338
- eBook ISBN: 9780080919232
About the Authors
Dr. Bartfai has held many prestigious academic positions. He is a member of Academia Europae and the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, a fellow of AAAS for pioneering work on neuropeptides, and a member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, which awards the Nobel Prizes in Chemistry and Physics. He was professor of the Karolinska Institute, which awards the Nobel Prize in Medicine or Physiology. He has been awarded a number of prestigious prizes including Eötvös Medal for mathematics in 1966, Budapest, Hungary; Royal Swedish Academy’s Svedberg Prize for biochemistry in 1985 and Ericsson Prize in 1996; and the Ellison Medical Foundation Senior Scholar Award 2002.
Affiliations and Expertise
The authors’ previous book Drug Discovery: from Bedside to Wall Street, Elsevier/Academic Press, 2006, has been published in Japanese (Chem-Bio Informatics Society) and Mandarin (Science Press). Their later book’s Japanese and Mandarin editions are in preparation.
Affiliations and Expertise
Ratings and Reviews
There are currently no reviews for "Drug Discovery"