- Print ISBN 9780444514837
- Electronic ISBN 9780080472546
Chapter 64, by Cai, Bulatove, Chang, Li and Yip, discusses the influence of the structure of the core of a dislocation on its mobility. The power of modern computation allows this topic to be treated from the first principles of electron theory, and with empirical potentials for more complicated problems. Advances in electron microscopy allow these theoretical predictions to be tested.
In Chapter 65, Xu analyzes the emission of dislocations from the tip of a crack and its influence on the brittle to ductile transition. Again, the treatment is predominantly theoretical, but it is consistently related to the very practical example of alpha iron.
In a dazzling interplay of experiment and abstract mathematics, Kléman, Lavrentovich and Nastishin analyze the line and point structural defects of the many mesomorphic phases which have become known in recent years.
Chapter 67, by Coupeau, Girard and Rabier, is essentially experimental. It shows how the various modern techniques of scanning probe microscopy can be used to study dislocations and their interaction with the free surface.
Chapter 68, by Mitchell and Heuer, considers the complex dislocations that can form in ceramic crystals on the basis of observations by transmission electron microscopy and presents mechanistic models for the motion of the dislocations in various temperature regimes.
While the underlying aim
64. Dislocation Core Effects on Mobility (W.Cai, V.V. Bulatov, J. Chang, J. Li, S. Yip)
65. Dislocation Nucleation from Crack Tips and Brittle to Ductile Transitions in Cleavage Fracture (G. Xu)
66. Dislocations and Disclinations in Mesomorphic Phases (M. Kleman, O.D. Laventovich, Yu.A. Nastishin)
67. Scanning Probe Microscopy and Dislocations (C. Coupeau, J.-C. Girard, J. Rabier)
68. Dislocations and Mechanical Properties of Ceramics (T.E. Mitchell, A.H. Heuer)
69. Dislocations in Energetic Crystals (R.W. Armstrong, W.L. Elban)
70. Dislocations and Indentations (M.M. Chaudhri)
- No. of pages:
- © 2005
- 5th August 2004
- North Holland
- Print ISBN:
- Electronic ISBN: