Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Differentiable Structures. Immersions, Imbeddings, Submanifolds. Normal Bundle, Tubular Neighborhoods. Transversality. Foliations. Operations on Manifolds. The Handle Presentation Theorem. The H-Cobordism Theorem. Framed Manifolds. Surger. Appendix. Bibliography.
Differential Manifolds is a modern graduate-level introduction to the important field of differential topology. The concepts of differential topology lie at the heart of many mathematical disciplines such as differential geometry and the theory of lie groups. The book introduces both the h-cobordism theorem and the classification of differential structures on spheres. The presentation of a number of topics in a clear and simple fashion make this book an outstanding choice for a graduate course in differential topology as well as for individual study.
- Presents the study and classification of smooth structures on manifolds
- It begins with the elements of theory and concludes with an introduction to the method of surgery
- Chapters 1-5 contain a detailed presentation of the foundations of differential topology--no knowledge of algebraic topology is required for this self-contained section
- Chapters 6-8 begin by explaining the joining of manifolds along submanifolds, and ends with the proof of the h-cobordism theory
- Chapter 9 presents the Pontriagrin construction, the principle link between differential topology and homotopy theory; The final chapter introduces the method of surgery and applies it to the classification of smooth structures on spheres
Senior-undergraduate and graduate students in differential topology courses as well as research mathematicians in the field
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 1993
- 21st October 1992
- Academic Press
- eBook ISBN: