Secure CheckoutPersonal information is secured with SSL technology.
Free ShippingFree global shipping
No minimum order.
Difference Equations, Second Edition, presents a practical introduction to this important field of solutions for engineering and the physical sciences. Topic coverage includes numerical analysis, numerical methods, differential equations, combinatorics and discrete modeling. A hallmark of this revision is the diverse application to many subfields of mathematics.
- Phase plane analysis for systems of two linear equations
- Use of equations of variation to approximate solutions
- Fundamental matrices and Floquet theory for periodic systems
- LaSalle invariance theorem
- Additional applications: secant line method, Bison problem, juvenile-adult population model, probability theory
- Appendix on the use of Mathematica for analyzing difference equaitons
- Exponential generating functions
- Many new examples and exercises
Intended for courses on difference equations, algorithms, discrete math, and differential equations
The Difference Calculus.
Linear Difference Equations.
The Self-Adjoint Second Order Linear Equation.
The Sturm-Liouville Problem.
Discrete Calculus of Variations.
Boundary Value Problems for Nonlinear Equations.
Partial Difference Equations.
- No. of pages:
- © Academic Press 2001
- 16th June 2000
- Academic Press
- Hardcover ISBN:
- eBook ISBN:
University of Oklahoma, Norman, U.S.A.
University of Nebraska, Lincoln, U.S.A.
"The first edition of this book has been the best introduction to difference equations available; the second edition improves this even further." --Martin Bohner, University of Missouri-Rolla
"The authors have their finger on the current trends in difference equations. This is a well-written textbook by authors who are known as teachers and expositors." --Johnny Henderson, Auburn University
Elsevier.com visitor survey
We are always looking for ways to improve customer experience on Elsevier.com.
We would like to ask you for a moment of your time to fill in a short questionnaire, at the end of your visit.
If you decide to participate, a new browser tab will open so you can complete the survey after you have completed your visit to this website.
Thanks in advance for your time.