Health care professionals in the ever-changing world of contemporary medicine encounter challenges in the adequacy and capacity of their knowledge. This text explores these issues and helps the reader to develop their knowledge to meet the needs of the community. It provides a helpful reference to any kind of professional, whether from practice, education, or research backgrounds.
- The reader is able to develop a professional understanding of material in relation to the practice of epistemology in educational, research and practice/work-based learning.
- A wide variety of helpful information displays the impact of different settings on practice epistemology.
- Coverage of the expectations of society and employers in relation to professional knowledge and practice prepare the reader for real-world experiences.
- Important facts underpin the ethical and collaborative decision-making processes in clinical governance and effectiveness for both patients and caregivers.
- Using a comprehensive definition of evidence, this text shows the evidence base and its importance in research, policy making, educational programs and practice.
- Expansive coverage of different research paradigms on knowledge development provide the reader with a wide range of knowledge.
- Recognizing practice epistemology in the health professions
2. Redefining the reflective practitioner:
3. Revisiting the philosophical roots of practical knowledge
4. Practice knowledge - its nature, sources, and contexts
5. Professions as communities of practice
6. Practice knowledge - critical appreciation
7. Blending self and professional - knowledge in person-centred care
8. The use and generation of practice knowledge in the context of regulating systems and moral frameworks
9. Challenging evidence in evidence-based practice
10. The role of practitioners in developing professional knowledge and practice
11. Clinical reasoning and practice knowledge
12. Practice epistemology: implications for education, practice and research
- No. of pages:
- © Butterworth-Heinemann 2004
- 9th February 2004
- eBook ISBN:
- Paperback ISBN:
Professor in Higher Education, Charles Sturt University, Sydney, Australia
Senior Lecturer, School of Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy, School of Health, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK
Professor of Medical Education at the Department of Medicine and Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Linkoping, Linkoping, Sweden