- Thorough explanations of how to read dental literature help readers understand how to draw their own conclusions from the latest studies.
- Coverage presents a number of complex problems facing practitioners today regarding access to dental care, and discusses how to solve them by working with public authorities and insurers.
- Comprehensive coverage of oral disease distribution helps readers to understand trends and risks they will encounter in the field.
- Material on prevention and control of oral diseases provides important information that all dental practitioners should have.
- Research designs used in oral epidemology assess the pros and cons of dental indexes available, allowing readers to gain an understanding of the complexities of disease measurement and research.
- Detailed content on providing dental care to the American public presents a unique opportunity to learn the system of dental care delivery.
- State-of-the-art coverage of mercury issues offer a balanced view of issues like toxicity, potential hazards, review of evidence, and politics.
- Ethical guidelines provide a discussion of how ethical principles have evolved over time and the precipitating events that pushed ethical practice into the forefront of health care.
- Information on the development of dental professions gives readers insight into how these professions originated and their current state.
1. The Professions of Dentistry and Dental Hygiene
2. The Public Served by Dentistry
3. Ethics and Responsibility in Dental Care
4. Dental Public Health
5. Promotion of Oral Health
Part II: Dental Practice
6. Dental Practice
7. Financing Dental Care
8. The Dental Workforce
9. Access to Dental Care
10. Infection Control and Mercury Safety
11. Reading the Dental Literature
12. Evidence-Based Dentistry
Part III: The Methods of Oral Epidemiology
13. Research Designs in Oral Epidemiology
14. The Measurement of Oral Diseases
15. Measuring Dental Cares
16. Measuring Periodontal Diseases
17. Measuring Dental Fluorosis
18. Measuring Other Conditions
Part IV: The Distribution of Oral Diseases and Conditions
19. Tooth Loss
20. Dental Caries
21. Periodontal Diseases
22. Dental Fluorosis
23. Oral Cancer and Other Oral Conditions
Part V: Prevention of Oral Diseases in Public Health
24. Fluoride: Human Health and Caries Prevention
25. Fluoridation of Drinking Water
26. Other Uses of Fluoride in Caries Prevention
27. Fissure Sealants
28. Diet and Plaque Control
29. Prevention of Periodontal Diseases
30. Smokeless Tobacco, Oral Cancer, and Anti-Tobacco Initiatives